'94 Thunderbird LX 3.8L Power Seat Track

Old 06-22-10, 11:36 AM
'94 Thunderbird LX 3.8L Power Seat Track

This is the driver's side seat. The power motor will do all except go adjust forward or backward. It will click sounding like it wants to, and on rare occasions will actually move an inch or two.

I have taken the seat out looking for a penny or something that may have gotten lodged in the track or some other simple fix, but saw nothing out of the ordinary. Plugged it in to see if i could see anything obvious but did not. So now I'm looking to simply replace the whole seat track & motor assembly.

Do these come as an assembly, or could I just replace the motor? It didn't appear like it could be taken apart fomr the track very easily which makes me think the whole track assembly and motor needs replaced.

What's a good website to order replacement parts for these? Or am I gonna have to go thru the Ford parts department?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-10, 03:07 PM
the motors are replaceable.
it is basicly a windshield wiper motor.
not for sure on this one,but if you take the seat back out-look for a 1/8" square hole in the back of the motor housing.
if you can obtain an old speedo cable it has the same square drive end-you put the cable in to the chuck of a reversable drill.
spin the motor back & forward this way & maybe you can tell if the track is binding.

Old 06-23-10, 02:06 PM
Hmmm, okay that's good to know. Maybe I'll give that a try.

Again every once in awhile when messing with the switch it will suddenly lurch forward or backward an inch or so. It almost acts like it's just weak and can't move it even when the seat is out and plugged in with no weight. Yet it have the strength to accomplish all the other directions normally? Doesn't make sense that the motor is burnt.

When i had it out it didnt look easy or practical to just remove the motor. I was looking to do that but the way it appeared put together I felt I would somehow screw the whole thing up. Is there a parts breakdown or online manual somewhere so that I can look at it and tell how to approach it?

Old 06-23-10, 08:35 PM
Have you tried the wrecking yards?? I'm sure they must have some T-birds /Cougars kicking around.... Roger

Old 06-24-10, 03:20 PM
I'm wondering if it could possibly be in the switch itself on the side of the seat? If I think about it it's actig like a power sideview mirror would when the switch goes bad. Works in all directions except forward/backwards?

Old 06-24-10, 08:22 PM
Originally Posted by Boater59 View Post
I'm wondering if it could possibly be in the switch itself on the side of the seat? If I think about it it's actig like a power sideview mirror would when the switch goes bad. Works in all directions except forward/backwards?
yes-that would be a very good bet.
the motors are not that 'intermitent'

Old 08-04-10, 01:36 PM
Well I spent $77 and replaced the switch, and it seemed to work after disconnecting/re-connecting the wire harness between old and new. Bolted the seat back down etc. and got in to check again and same problem. I could feel the seat jolt on the left side a little bit but acted like it was jammed or out of alignment. All other directions work perfect as they did before. It's just the forward/backwards slide direction. There is a bank of three motors under the seat. I cleaned all the connecters, lubed up the tracks, and once again inspected the tracks for any debri that might jam it up, but same problem came back.

Why would it work after a disconnect/re-connect cycle then not work? I would think either the motor works or it don't.

Is there a site i could go to order online a replacement bracket/motor assembly sans the seat itself, and be done with it?

It's just aggravating not being able to adjust the seat to the varying lengths of driving time for comfort, such as my recent Ohio trip and back. Not to mention when loaning it out to a family member or freind with a car in the shop who may require leg length adjustments.

Old 08-06-10, 02:45 PM
TTT for more looks. I have naothe rpost on the brake power booster as well. Got to be a good suggestion or website where I can find a replacement track.motors.

Old 08-10-10, 09:19 AM
Throwing back to the top for more looks. My attempts to search via Google as not provided anything of substance with regards to finding a new or used seat track/motor replcement. The local dealership sez they're not carried or made anymore.

Old 08-10-10, 05:34 PM
Are there no wrecking yards in your area??? Lots of T-bird / Cougar seats available around here.. Most yards also have a network they can check other yards invintory... Roger

Old 08-11-10, 11:16 AM
After many searches, I finally came across on Ebay a seller that had "8" new tracks still in packaging for the 1989-'95 TBird/Cougars for $77 buy now price. So I jumped on one with all four. Of course he listed they may be new, but they're also roughly 15 years old with specs of condensation rust here and there. No other choices really and the price isn't bad for something not made any more. Hopefully this should be the end of this issue. The only other hanging chad is the brake power booster issue in my other post.

Old 08-26-10, 11:12 AM
Just a follow up. All done and new seat track in place. All works fine now. Brake booster as well.