Nissan sentra '96 odometer not turning ?

Old 06-24-10, 06:35 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Nissan sentra '96 odometer not turning ?

My '96 nissan sentra lxe has problem w/ mechanical odometer stopped turning at all - like stuck on 126,314 miles This is completely black/white turning mechanical odometer. The speedo works 90% of time.
First noticed a problem when saw speedo needle suddenly drop to 0 when turned on windshield wipers on but after playing with tripodometer reset pinstick the speedo would bounce back up to life.
Also CE yellow lite came on soon after - forget code but was VSS speed sensor related. (think I might have some minor weirdo electrical issue (maybe unrelated to odometer) in car (auto doorlocks trip sometimes)
So been driving it for while with speedo doing ok BUT odometer and trip meter not working at all and stuck on above miles. (I think the vss speed sensor near/on the transmission is really hard to get to (for me at least) (2 bolts rusted on - hard to get out)

Is it maybe an instrument cluster problem ?
Is there anything I can do to fix or troubleshoot further ?
Ohh - the cruise control works ok and will hold the set speed.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-10, 06:57 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Speedo and odometer are different cables. You might have a broken odometer cable. Had the same problem in an '83 Volvo 240 GLT 15 years ago.

Old 06-24-10, 07:03 AM
Group Moderator
Received 29 Votes on 23 Posts
Here's an earlier thread that may help:

http://forum.doityourself.com/automo...r-problem.html

The dead odometer might be stripped/broken gears in the cluster; that's not uncommon on an older vehicle with mechanical odo.

Old 06-24-10, 07:18 PM
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
here's experience from 96 galant, which prolly is very similarly designed.
spedo started acting up, with handle falling down, then quit completely.
went to ****** transmission in ******, they told me "gear ring" in differential is stripped, needs to be replaced. trannie needs to be removed, part replaced, 3 days at the shop, $800 plus plus tax.
i almost signed for it. but, gods were watching. i located speed sensor, that was held in place by a 10mm bolt; mine was not cable, but electronic. on a hunch, i sort of wiggled it this way and that way. spedo came back to life for short time. got front raised on the stands, started engine, put into drive, loosened 10mm bolt, tilted sensor assembly so that it's end inside differential was pressing towards driveaxle. spedo came back to life immediately. so, for about next 6 mths, i was driving with a sock wedged there, and bolt loose.
finally, went to mitsu dealer, asked how much is a new sensor. $80 something. hey, there's worn out worm gear on the shaft, can i replace just that? sure. how much? 8 bucks.
had it ordered, 5 minute replacement. that was it.

Last edited by the_tow_guy; 06-25-10 at 05:12 AM. Reason: Removed businesss name
Old 06-25-10, 05:13 AM
Group Moderator
Had to remove the business name referred to, ukrbyk, although I share you opinion of their troubleshooting.

Old 09-06-10, 12:50 PM
still a problem - odo not working

I still have this broken odometer problem... still trying to fix.
If it is broken tooth inside cluster (like towguy said)
would that affect the speedo needle acting eratic and going dead to 0 sometimes and only after tap it or play with tripmeter reset pin a bunch the speedo needle comes back to life.
BUT the odometer is still stuck - never turns now.
Plus have the CEL yello lite is on and code is 0500 (Im pretty sure last I checked at autozone - vss related)

Should I go for pulling out the cluster panel and see if there's some broken teeth ?
Was thinking of pulling it out and try sending to one of those cluster repair shops. ?
Thx alot

Old 09-06-10, 01:03 PM
I heard thhat if you have and use a gps device that it will read miles for you.

Old 09-14-10, 11:18 AM
really need to pass inspection

Here in Mass - I really need to pass my next inspection test
by end of this month (clock ticking)
and really dont care much at all realy about if the odometer
works or not... but my CEL yellow lite is on (code 0500 VSS )
and due to this odometer/speedo problem.
So I think I need to fix it somehow and THEN maybe I can pass the yearly vechicle inspection test so I can get a legit sticker and keep driving my car.
Anymore ideas pls ?
Thanks

Old 09-14-10, 12:35 PM
(Quote) Also CE yellow lite came on soon after - forget code but was VSS speed sensor related.

May be electrical. First things first. Will address possibility of electrical issue later. Code is most likely PO500, but canít guess, must know for sure. Auto Zone pulls codes for free. Have a scan done and, this time write down the code so you donít forget it. Post code so we can see it.

Are you running any rims or tires (either larger or smaller) that are not the stock size?

If yes, was the cars PCM reconfigured to the new size tire or rim?

Old 09-15-10, 05:52 AM
Group Moderator
I agree, coincidentally I had a little wacky speedo disease a couple of weeks ago; the odo worked fine but the speedo neeedle would periodically either stick at some speed or not work at all. Was convinced the speedo head would need repair/replace (only has 575,000 miles on it ), but after I removed, inspected and reinstalled i haven't had a problem since. Figure the fix was a dirty connector that got "cleaned during the R&R.