4x4 ford ranger front axle seal leak

Old 06-25-10, 12:51 PM
4x4 ford ranger front axle seal leak

Hi All. I come here often because the info has always been accurate. I have a problem with my '01 Ford Ranger. I noticed an oil spot in the driveway under the right front axle. The seal is leaking. I most likley brought this problem on myself because I had been going to a 4X4 recreation area and driving through the mud pits. After I had cleaned of the dried mud from the undercarriage (a wheelbarrel completely full) is when the leak showed up. The leak could been going on for a week or so just been soaked up bu the mud. While sorting through internet info on the seal repair, I came across someone that said "Before you change the seal make sure the differential vent tube is not plugged, because if it is plugged the differential lube will leak out of the weakest seal". OK, I have been well over the top of the axle in soupy mud, this plugged vent thing could be the culperate. Do any of you know where the vent is and how I can check it? Do you think the writer of this vent knows what he is talking about or should I just change the axle seal. Running in the mud was fun but the hidden cost is too high and I don't think I will run my baby through it anymore.
Thanking you in advance for your help and suggestions.
Xbank

Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-10, 07:09 PM
yes, if the vent is plugged- it will leak at the most worn seal.
it should be on top of the housing -above the drive shaft

Old 06-26-10, 06:51 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Usually there is a short piece of rubber hose attached to the vent - gets it up higher to prevent water/mud from getting in it. Just doesn't work as well if you get crazy 4 wheelin

Old 07-02-13, 10:34 PM
I know on my 2011 ranger the vent hose comes up next to the battery