Blown head gasket allways get cyl wet?

Old 06-30-10, 05:10 PM
Blown head gasket allways get cyl wet?

When a head gasket goes and the vehicle overheats, do the plugs allways get wet also.
My bro says out dads head gasket is gone but the cylinders are dry.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-10, 05:44 PM
Not necessarily....

Aside from sealing the cylinder head to the block, It also separates coolant and oil passages, from engine combustion chambers . A head gasket can leak either internally or externally, oil to coolant, oil to chamber, or coolant to chamber , and coolant to oil.

Compression, coolant and oil are all possible to leak externally from a head gasket, depending on engine design, and placement of passages.

Old 06-30-10, 05:56 PM
The "water" is puking out of the rad so I take it that the cylinder pressure is blowing into the jacket water.
I would expect then that, on the intake stroke, the coolant would be sucked into the cylinder and there would be signs.

Tonites news is that my bro has the one head off.
My mother knows only that.
I dont know if my bro has a visual proof that the gasket was gone.

Thanks for the input

Old 06-30-10, 06:06 PM
Technically ..no, The water wouldnt be "Sucked In". The Intake valve would be open, So the majority of suction would be in the Plenum, which is above the Gasket/ block Joint.
I suppose If it was hot enough, and there was enough pressure in the cooling system, When you shut the car down, And compression ceased, the water "COULD" be forced into the cylinders until the pressure equalized.

Old 06-30-10, 09:21 PM
What kind of car & engine are you working on???? Sometimes the intake manifold gasket will start to leak & people jump all over the head gasket issue,,, since you have excessive pressure in the cooling system,,Then I think the head gasket,, but it would be of some help if you let us know what car & engine you have,,,,

Roger

Old 07-01-10, 04:08 AM
Wet conditions in cylinder from head gasket leak, may not appear due to coolant burned off when mixed with fuel,when ignition occurred, and was exhausted out the tail pipe. Reading spark plugs may help as well. Look for signs of overheating (glossy look) or a plug(s) much cleaner than the rest. One of the easiest ways when engine running, is to have a shop with exhaust sniffer, or even a rad shop that pours dye into coolant, runs the engine then shines black light at tailpipe which will quite often show the traces (glows) of the dye in the exhaust pipe.
Not uncommon to find valve seat and face nice and clean as well, compared to others, if you go that far with inspection when head is off.

Old 07-01-10, 10:28 AM
It is a 2000 3.8 out of a Town and Country with about 240,000 Km on it.
Getting another vehicle but fixing old one for a second vehicle to run stuff to dump etc.
I will be going to work on it on Sat. and will be able to take a look at the parts then because it is suppose to be apart.
Thanks for the tips