Help??

Old 07-03-10, 06:08 PM
Help??

Ok, This is kinda embarrassing,

3.5 chrysler V6, Broken Camshaft "Nose" (Where the sprocket fits).....

Cylinder "Leakdown" at #2, air forces out of 4+6 spark plug tubes.....I'm thinking valves are destroyed.... OR.... Crack in the head, But what would link all three cylinders in the same bank????BTW....Intake plenum is removed, so I ruled out Air swirling around in the intake.....And the rockers are all removed, So the valves should be sealed,
All Valves in R/S head bent?????? What am I missing?????

Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-10, 08:03 PM
if i understand?
put air in ft cyl-comes out 2nd & 3rd
what if air in 2nd & 3rd cyl?
?no air in water jacket?
does air push each piston-down?
would not 'think' valves-air would come out respective ports?

Old 07-03-10, 08:20 PM
Each cylinder leaks into the other two......No it doesnt force the pistons down, because it doesnt build any pressure...... It gushes right out thru the remaining two cylinders. My thinking is that if the valves were properly sealed, the air should stay in the cylinder....A cracked head, or blown gasket would produce the results I have now, BUT only in ADJACENT cylinders....Not all Three.

I was trying to give a customer an answer without tearing the head off to inspect it, And in the process wound up overthinking it so badly, that I got myself lost.

Old 07-03-10, 08:24 PM
my 'guess'the cylinders are leaking across the 2 adjcent sealing surfaces-between the 3 cylinders.
as stated-if valves were at fault-the ports would show leakage

Old 07-03-10, 08:29 PM
i cant' imagine a broken camshaft causing this symptom?
is a 3.5 a free wheeling motor?

Old 07-03-10, 09:36 PM
Ive replaced hundreds of broken timing belts on the 3.5's and NEVER saw one with bent valves. But when I got this one, the sprocket spins, but the cam doesnt, and the steel dust is everywhere.....I was looking to replace the cam and sprocket, New belt and send it off. Obviously I cant check Compression, so I "Leak Tested It " instead.

BTW, when I popped the sprocket off, and lifted the rocker shaft, the cam DOES spin freely in the bores, so I'm Wondering if the head gasket popped, and Hydrolocked bad enough to shred the sprocket loose????

Old 07-04-10, 08:38 AM
IMO-hydro locked - would not cause broken camshaft/sprocket

is it possible to use a 18"pice of 1/4" tubing-through spark plug hole/follow/verify piston travel-while rolling eng over?

what if put air to 1 cyl at atime / spin eng over w/starter button-noise- change/same at each cyl?

Old 07-05-10, 09:57 AM
help

I guess if you could get hold of one of those little scopes it might tell you something. The way I approached one like this was,, whatever it is the head is going to have to come off to fix it,lets have a look. I know I know the customer is wanting to know how much it is going to cost,so you give him the max number and if its less your a hero.

Old 07-05-10, 02:34 PM
Well, The verdict is........

All six exhaust valves on the R/S head are HAMMERED.

Leak down test didnt show this Because the Cat is clogged, so the air didnt escape from the tailpipe.

The reason I was so reluctant to pull the head, is because this was a 7/70 warranty with 73,000, a Disgruntled customer, and a Service rep from Chrysler Asking 101 questions about what caused the issue in the first place.

Now it's up to The powers that be , whether or not They will make a Good will gesture and work something out.

Thanks Guys.....

Old 07-05-10, 08:57 PM
my 'guess'-the 1st thing 'chry' is want is -why is the 'cat' faulted!!
(& refuse any participation-as far as after warranty help)

did you decide -is the short block-in tact?

Old 07-06-10, 04:43 PM
Well, the cat clogged is likely because of the retarded Valve timing. For some idiot reason, there is no "KEY" on the camshaft....The sprocket is a "Press Fit", and there are index marks at the "Tail" of the cam, to line up with the head. The Center bolt was broken, the sprocket wiggled loose, and the rest is history. Customer described 2 or 3 days of poor running prior to complete failure.
Pistons are a bit Scuffed at the tops, but nothing I'm too concerned with
I know this will not be a popular comment...But 7/70 is 7/70.......NOT 70,001, and not 7 years ,and 1 day.

Auto MFR's would not be in the financial state they are in, if they didnt "Cave In " to situations like this. They made you a promise, that your "POWERTRAIN" would be trouble free for 7 years or 70k, And there is in no way shape or form, a "Failure Timer" installed just to screw you over as the warranty runs out. They Kept their end, I personally think this customer should keep his......He got what was promised to him, And ....Hey, Stuff happens....

Old 07-06-10, 05:08 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Cannot blame you after all, I highly doubt you had anything to do with selling that car to the customer.

Old 07-06-10, 06:11 PM
Well, no, But that is another issue. The service dept I work at handles 4 "Sister" dealerships, and the car wasnt even purchased from us. It turns out that the selling dealer rolled out the red carpet for this guy and pointed it towards the EXIT...... So Corporate rep sent him to us....

Old 07-06-10, 08:24 PM
help

I worked in GM dealerships before I had my own shop and I saw some strange waranty decesions. Back in the day cars sold in summer did not have anti freeze in them and I saw GM replace an engine that simply froze and cracked when the customer drove it into winter without adding AF. Then an iffyone like this they would stick to their guns.My take on something like this is do something for him and he will be back stick to your guns and he is gone forever spreading Ill will all along the way.