crazy accident noise problem

Old 07-03-10, 07:55 PM
D
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
crazy accident noise problem

Hello,

I have a 2009 C30 and was rear-ended last month (haven't even had the car for a year!). It took some serious damage with over $9000 in repairs. I have the car back now and am hearing a vibrating sound, I think from the front. I can only hear the sound when I am inside the car and I don't always hear it. Usually when it is warm and not when the car is moving (only when stopped and pressing the accelerator makes it stop). However, I don't always hear it and when I took it back to the body shop to look it, I couldn't reporduce it. The body shop was nice enough to look around and did not see anything loose. I felt like I'm going crazy after leaving the body shop but I know the engine wasn't this loud before the accident. I can still hear it but the problem is it is not consistent. The only consistent thing about it seems to be it is worse when the weather is warm. Does anyone know of anything like this?

Old 07-03-10, 08:11 PM
N
Upvotes: 0
just a 'guess'(& not temp related)
have seen it many times-when a veh takes a hit - the inertia of the weight of the engine wanting to be in one place when the body/frame is forced in another direction will damage/bend the eng/trans-mounts& or/brackets.
also-possible exhaust-binding/or touching something
possible an a/c hose left loose/laying on a body part-(try turning-a/c-off/on)

Old 07-03-10, 09:21 PM
It's a guess (as finding any noises are on the internet),, But could it just be something as simple as a loose exhaust shield, Maybe??? Just a thought.... Roger

Old 07-04-10, 11:25 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
After a collision and repair it is possible that your car has new harmonic properties. Which is just to say that locations that didn't make/transmit vibration before, now may.

Loose change in the cupholder? Really it could be anything, and it requires scouting around.
Best way to scout for rattle noises is to sit in the cab and touch or apply pressure to variouse trim panels, knobs, shifters, cellphones, etc...

Old 07-04-10, 11:31 AM
D
Thanks for all the responses. I am writing them down and going to have the body shop check each one. Do you guys think it could be the brakes or rotors? When he hit me, he hit the right corner of the vehicle and collapsed the wheel housing as well as flattened that tire. They did an alignment when they replaced the tire and did a test drive but found nothing. Also, I've had warped rotors on my old car before and it doesn't feel/sound like that. But could it be a possibility?

Also, because there was frame damage and a lot of the sheet metal was replaced, could the acoustics of the car have changed? That sounds crazy!

Old 07-05-10, 05:24 PM
D
It doesn't sound like any of those things. It's a low, dull vibrating sound. It happens when the weather outside is more than 75 F and it seems to be louder when on some streets than others (maybe because of the way the car is positioned?).

I was mistaken to think it was coming from the front. I was looking around while it was making the sound and the front is fairly silent. When I looked around in the back, I could hear it. I tried holding down some of the stuff in the back (i.e. the door for the spare tire compartment, the spare tire, the seats, tried folding down the seats, etc.) but the sound doesn't go away. I will have to take back to the mechanic again, this time with the noise happening.

However, in my poking around, I found what looks to be an oil leak on the engine. I took a picture of it and posted it here:

Picasa Web Albums

It is where the engine oil gets poured in but it looks like it is coming out from where the pistons are. I touched it and it is definitely not water but an oily substance. I wiped it off to see if it will come back. It looks pretty bad and I can't believe this would be caused by the accident.

Old 07-05-10, 08:46 PM
N
is it a 'leaf spring' type rear suspension?
if so-possible the rolled eye of the spring touching the hanger /bracket?
you might /!probaly!-will have 'them' to find the noise concern.

not much else I can offer!?

Old 07-10-10, 10:34 AM
D
Can anyone comment on the picture? I was wrong about it being where you would fill the engine oil. That's not it but still why is there that oil on the engine?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: