2001 Windstar misfires when rains

Old 07-04-10, 01:36 PM
2001 Windstar misfires when rains

Hi. My Windstar misfired so my friend and I checked & replaced the spark plugs, changed coil wire, air filter, fuel filter, put injector cleaners. The computer still reads "misfires from cylinder 1."

The car misfires when it rains or it's humid. Can anyone suggest any solutions?

Thank you in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-10, 01:55 PM
1st-i would change 'all' the plug wires
(as ths spark travels down the plug wire-jumps the plug/gap-it has to returm to the coil by way of the 2nd of the 'pair' of plug wires)

Old 07-04-10, 10:15 PM
Does a 2001 Winstar have a coil wire?? Doese'nt it have a coil pac??? If I remember correctly,, there was also problems with the EGR ports getting blocked with carbon causing a miss with the EGR open,,, Newtofta is right on how it works,,, Get a wire set fo it if the EGR is O.K. Roger

Old 07-05-10, 04:36 PM
wait till deep night, pop hood open, start the car in pitch black area. maybe even spray some water onto the engine. watch for power drainage off spark plug wires down onto the engine, it's very apparent.
camshaft position sensor may mulfunction too.
for 2001 you should almost for sure have coil packs, not ignition coil, but who knows. honda stayed with distributors and ignition coil for long time.

Old 07-05-10, 05:44 PM
windstar 03

Hi guys, thanks for the replies. It's actually a 2003 windstar my bad....I think it is what u call a coil pack. I changed all spark plugs and the pack still in the morning if there was a lot of dew or if it pours rain the van almost can't go forward the missfire is so bad it's even dangereous but don't have the money to take it to a mechanic.
I will try to throw water at night what should I look for?
Where are the sensors? can they really make the car missfire or just lite up the pump sign on the dash board?

Old 07-05-10, 08:38 PM
Question

Originally Posted by newtofta View Post
1st-i would change 'all' the plug wires
(as ths spark travels down the plug wire-jumps the plug/gap-it has to returm to the coil by way of the 2nd of the 'pair' of plug wires)
did you put a 'new' set of plug wires on?