2007 Chevy Cobalt - unable to remove key from ignition

Old 07-09-10, 07:07 AM
2007 Chevy Cobalt - unable to remove key from ignition

Son recently got a used 2007 Chevy Cobalt and it's been fine for about 3 weeks. Last night he puts key in ignition and it gets stuck - he can't turn it to start the car and can't take it out.
He calls me and I give him the standard things I know to do to release a stuck key: wiggling the key, 'jiggling' the steering wheel to loosen the key lock mechanism, trying to get the transmission shifter more securely in Park etc. but nothing worked.
He finally calls AAA, who came out and did something with the battery and with some kind of electrical cable (not jumpers), and were finally able to get the key out of the ignition lock - son wasn't watching too closely but I asked him if the car clock got reset and he said it was; so I assumed the battery was disconnected at some point. He did say the tow guy said it had something to do with the anti-theft system. What I couldn't figure out was what the 'cable' was and how was it used to facilitate the release of the key from the ignition.
I think we need to find out how to do this ourselves in case it happens again. The only thing different since he got the car was the extreme heat the northeast has been experiencing this week but he said he had driven the car the day before.

Anyone know what's going on with this and what we need to take care of this problem ourselves?
Thanks,
greynold99

Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-10, 07:38 AM
Hi greynold99,

I did a search using your header . . . pulled numerous complaints w/ folks having same problem as you described.

This was stated by one poster, and others said the same thing . . .
“I was looking thru the owner's manual & discovered there is a panel that comes off the bottom of the steering column & there's a button in there to push to release the key.”
It came from this forum: 2005 Chevrolet Cobalt key stuck in the ignition | CarComplaints.com. However, this is only a temporary solution should you son get stuck again but it doesn’t fix the underlying problem . . . you might look through these complaints as they also mention various solutions {some of which might be questionable}.

Perhaps someone here will post the fix.

Good luck.

Old 07-09-10, 10:01 AM
reply to Rob

Thanks for taking the time Rob to lookup and reply.
Appreciate the help. Sorry I wasn't able to provide more details but what you said makes sense.
I'm still puzzled as to what then did the AAA Tow guy do that involved the battery & 'cables'?
Greynold99

Old 07-09-10, 10:14 AM
reply to Rob

Thanks for taking the time Rob to lookup and reply.
Appreciate the help.
Anyway, I found the article you referred to and have relayed that information to my son.
He was actually having it looked at and the GM Tech told him to reset the ECM by disconnecting the battery cables and 'touching' ends of both cables together for 10-15 seconds to reset the ECM.
Greynold99

Old 07-09-10, 10:20 AM
Group Moderator
They still putting side post batteries in GM cars?

Not all that fun disconnecting and reconnecting those

Old 07-09-10, 12:52 PM
Actually on the Cobalts at least, the battery is now in the trunk under the spare tire. At least if that's where they put them in the 2007 model. That's where it's at on my friends 2005 Cobalt.

Old 07-09-10, 02:02 PM
Group Moderator
That's the way the Saturn Ion is - same platform?

Old 07-14-10, 06:12 PM
Yeah... no battery under the hood of my 2007 Cobalt SS.... there is a post for putting a positive jumper cable on if the thing ever needs a "jump" when the battery goes dead. But the battery itself is located elsewhere... LOL! And right now, I can't remember exactly where! Anyway, I haven't had any stuck key issues, but I'm going to keep an eye on this thread to find out what to do if it happens.

Old 12-02-12, 11:43 AM
My key got stuck in the ignition while it was running. Long story short, chevy wanted 500 dollars to replace the ignition lock cylinder but a locksmith perminately fixed it for me for $110. It's an really easy fix don't get ripped off. If u can't get a locksmith immedately just take out the fuel pump fuse to cut off the car. I have a 2007 cobalt so it's located on the left side of the center console on passager side. It tears right off. The u must unplug battery which is located in the trunk. Only touch the battery when car is shut off via removal of fuel pump fuse. I hope this info can help some one.