Boy do I need help!

Old 07-11-10, 08:15 PM
Boy do I need help!

Good evening,
I have a 95 Chevy Lumina APV (minivan) with the 3.8 L engine. Well on the tag under the hood it says OBD1 it has the OBD1 connector I believe there are 12 slots. My check engine light has been on for sometime now. So I figured I could jump the A&B terminals to get the code but no B terminal.
Ok so how it's running well every now & then she stalls once hot or if it is hot out I hit 40mph & she bucks so bad I think the thing is going to split in two on the highway forget it I stay off them. Temp. is fine I brought it over to my friends garage & he had a hell of a time finding a scan tool that would fit her & was not sure it was giving him the right codes!. He changed the wires plugs yes even the rear. Then the mass air flow.
So that was $300. I picked it up soon as I was on the highway she just started bucking until I let my foot of the gas.
So I called him told him he changed the Temp. Sensor I can't even find it cause the fan kicks on for about 30sec then off crazy. That did nothing so the other night I brought it to another friend he is a mechanic he never saw a plug for the computer like that but he thinks it's the coil pack now these are $28. a piece times three I don't mind spending it if that is the problem but I'm not so sure it is.
So I need help bad my question is IF ANYONE HAS ANY IDEAS WHAT IT COULD BE OR HAS HAD THIS PROBLEM BEFORE & KNOWS WHAT IT IS COULD YOU PLEASE LET ME KNOW? Thank you so much!
Will,

Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-10, 08:38 PM
GM 1983-1995 OBD1 Decoder

actually, i think, you might have obd2 port. GM was amongst the 1st ones to introduce obd2 system, later picked by the rest. cars made in 95 were already obd2. of course, if you have 95 model, it might as well be made in 94, then tough.

what you need to do is to either cool down and read codes, as described, or spend another 60 bucks and have her scanned at a shop. so far, you are guess-fixing, and it's never good.

btw, sounds like major air leak somewhere. on hot, metal expends, you know, gaps get wider. or TPS. but really, don't want to guess. read codes.

Old 07-12-10, 05:15 AM
Group Moderator
Had a 3.8L Buick Regal that behaved something like what you're describing - it was the transmission, the torque converter clutch was sticking

Test for this - drive with your foot very lightly on the brake pedal, only enough pressure to make the brake lights come one, not enough to really add any resistance to the movement of the car. That smooths out the ride, it's the same problem.

Old 07-12-10, 05:55 AM
Originally Posted by mitch17 View Post
Had a 3.8L Buick Regal that behaved something like what you're describing - it was the transmission, the torque converter clutch was sticking

Test for this - drive with your foot very lightly on the brake pedal, only enough pressure to make the brake lights come one, not enough to really add any resistance to the movement of the car. That smooths out the ride, it's the same problem.
Sounds good to me I'll give it a try I'm hopping it's not that but if it is I would really have to think about getting her fixed.
I had a Lumina van before this one but that had the 3.1L I bought her at the auction she ran great I had no problems with it.
But I remember that someone had cut the wiring to the tranny when I asked a friend what that was he said if I can remember this right it had to do with the lock out torque converter. Now I see on this one the same plug I was wondering if I unplug that.
But will give your idea a try & let you know.
Thank you
Will,

Search this Thread