Air bag lite wont go out

Old 07-12-10, 09:01 AM
Air bag lite wont go out

The airbag lite is on in a 06 Buick Terraza my father just bought. I have not seen it yet.
Former owner backed inot something and broke rear tail lite so had it sent to shop for repair and safety certification.
Shop fixed it and my father got it home and now the airbag lite is on.
My father left a message on prior owners phone but they will not be back till begining of the week.

My question is: Is this just a nuisance thing or could this be a serious repair cost?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-10, 10:48 AM
That light on could mean the airbags will not work in an accident... In my opinion, price is no object for something like that which could save your life!

The airbag light went on in an older car I have. I have the factory service manual set of books which cost around $150 and I use these for all repairs. I was able to look up in that book how to read the diagnostic codes for the airbag system.

Then read the code and looked up in the factory manual what that code was. (Was for driver's airbag.) Then from there determined there was a bad "clockspring" in the steering column (using a multimeter). This was part of the turn signal assembly. I got a used part from a wrecking yard for $20. So that was my cost. If I had a mechanic do this and install a new replacement part, the turn signal assembly alone would have been $450, then add labor plus an $80 "diagnostic fee".

On newer vehicles you would need a code reader which could read airbag codes. Then need a factory service manual set of books to see what the code was for. Then probably also need the electrical diagrams from the same books and a multimeter to troubleshoot the circuit and find the problem.

If you don't know how to do electrical troubleshooting, probably best to have a mechanic diagnose the problem and give you an estimate.

Old 07-12-10, 02:43 PM
thanks Bill
Now the story is that the airbag lite is out and the seatbelt lite is on.
I dont know the complete story yet so I will post tonite when I hear it first hand.
thanks

Old 07-12-10, 07:05 PM
I talked to father today and he says that the prior owner says that he had that problem of the air-bag lite coming on or the seat belt lite on and he took it to the dealer and the dealer said that the older Buick Terrazas had that problem.
It is an 06
Anybody heard of that.
I had a 92 Buick that the ABS brake lite would come on and the owners manual said to pull over and restart the vehicle to clear it.
Can the computer be reflashed?
Thanks

Old 07-13-10, 04:50 AM
I did quite a few google searchs and I did come up with this statement:

"The engine may not start, may start then quit, and/or assorted warning lights may glow because the wiring connector under the driver seat may get wet and the contacts corrode. (2005-06) "

I will have him come up today and I will try to look under the seat.
I will disconnect the battery to make sure if there are bad connections I dont make things worse.

Thanks

Old 07-13-10, 07:47 AM
Might be good to take it to a dealer and be sure all the factory "fixes/updates" have been done. They will have recalls for certain things, software updates, and fixes for known problems.