Catalytic converter

Old 07-12-10, 05:02 PM
Catalytic converter

[B][/Bhello i have a 1996 6cylinder ]blazer.can you tell me what the proper steps are in replacing a CATALYTIC CONVERTER.would it be wize for a mechanic do it?? thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-10, 05:23 PM
I have a newer Jimmy SLT (1999) with a 4.3L Vortec. I have found a good local mechanic with a small shop that is honest and reasonable, but nothing is even done on time, so I just plan on that. If he says ready at 5:00, I assume he will call about 8:00PM or 9:00PM, but always the right day.

I had a mechanic replace my catalytic converter (rattling), but he have to hunt for the right one. Apparently, there are several different ones used and the one for a SLT is not cheap. My wife's Blazer (SLE) had a much cheaper one when I looked for future reference.

I may have an unusual Jimmy because the dealer bought directly from GM with 24,000 miles on it. It was apparently driven by an executive's wife and serviced by GM. - All the goodies (except heated seats) and complete records of servicing and even fuel use. They even replace a front hub at 20,000 miles, but the hubs have always been a problem.

Because of this it might have not been typical with a different converter, but it caused a delay and taking off the old and bringing it to a dealer to get the right numbers and then my mechanic bought an after market unit because I may not put another 150-200,000+ miles on the car.

Dick