How to change spark plugs for 06 Camry.

Old 07-13-10, 11:48 PM
How to change spark plugs for 06 Camry.

I have a 2006 4 cly Camry. I want to change the spark plugs, but I have never done this on Camry before. Can some one tell me where to find them, what to do step by step, what sort of tools I need?? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-10, 04:57 AM
Group Moderator
Socket (5/8", I think)
6" extension
ratchet

Very easy to do. We have an '01, but I'm prettty sure all the 4 cyl Camrys are similar. Open hood, find the four plug wires right on top of the valve cover (boxy looking grayish part running crosswise on top of the engine). One at a time, very carefully pull up on the rubber bushing where the plug wire disappears. Might have to wiggle and twist a bit for it to disengage. Look down in hole and you'll see the plug. Take care not to overtighten the new plug. Does yours use the pricey plugs? Think I paid about 8 bucks a piece for mine.

Old 07-14-10, 06:15 AM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by the_tow_guy View Post
One at a time, very carefully pull up on the rubber bushing where the plug wire disappears.
One at a time is very important - helped a buddy replace plugs and wires on a V8 in high school. We each took a bank and went to work. I went one at a a time, he ripped everything off first and then put on all the new stuff. The car didn't run well afterward because he got two of the wires reversed when he put them back on. The shock he got when he tried to correct them with the engine running was pretty funny, though....

Old 07-14-10, 04:43 PM
Thanks for the response, but I looked at my 06 camry again, there is no plug wires anywhere, that is why I asked where are those plugs. it is flat on the top of the engine. at the side (toward the driver) there are 4 metal tube-like-thing bolted to the engine by screws and they (the 4) are connected together. I believe those tubes are connected to the spark plugs, but I can not see the whole thing since it is half way covered by the top plate(or cover) of the engine. Should I remove those tube-like-thing out? the way they put there is not easy to remove them, but I can try if those 4 are the plug connectors.

Old 07-14-10, 06:08 PM
I just watched a 2 minutes youtube video shows how to change spark plugs for a truck. The guy has to remove the top engine cover first and the small boxy thing and the spark plugs are right under it. So I'll do that to see if iit is same for Camry.

Old 07-15-10, 05:12 AM
Group Moderator
Yeah, I was afraid maybe your late model wasn't quite the same. On the older ones everything is clearly visible right on top of the engine.

Late thought, you might not have plug wires; might be coil-on-plug under the cover. Just a little more work to get to the plug.