95 Lumina van staling when hot

Old 07-14-10, 01:47 AM
95 Lumina van staling when hot

Morning,
1995 Chevy Lumina APV 3.8L engine this thing is killing me the CEL has been on for sometime now. Yesterday the temp. was 90 deg. I had a doctors apointment she ran good there.
But after that I had to do some grocery shopping & the temp. gage still read right around the 1/4 mark so it stalled twice pulling out of the doctors parking lot both times in gear. Then again right out of the doctors lot on a busy road thank God no cars were coming. I could not keep her idling unless I through her into neutral & keep my foot on gas.
Then she stalled a few more times in & out of the parking lot at the grocery store. Also I seen where the temp. gage was climbing past the halfway point it sounds like the fan comes on then about 45sec. latter kicks off.
Once on the highway (which I should of never taken) as soon as I hit 40mph & above the whole van just bucks or stumbles it's so bad that anyone in it is thrown around. Now a friend who Owen's a garage said it was the mass air flow so that was changed & the Temp. sensor he said he changed that but since u can't see it I'm hopping he did.
One guy told me it's the coil pack but would this do what it's doing only when hot?. I just dread taking her out on hot days then I'm thinking it's the thermostat but I really don't know.
So if anyone read all this & might have a clue please let me know? One other thing I took her to Auto Zone as they put it on a scan tool but so far nobody can find one that will work!
Thank you again,
Will,

Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-10, 02:23 AM
With the CEL on, you'll have to get it scanned to pull the code for the problem that's kicking the light on. I take it the Autozone couldn't pull the codes being a '95? If not you'll have to go to a shop.

It's really pointless to replace parts until you do.

Old 07-14-10, 07:56 PM
The diagnostic connector on OBD I GM vehicles is called an ALDL connector. Here is a search for the terms 95 Lumina aldl...
Google

You should find some useful information. Best is a factory service manual set of books though which you can order from a GM dealer or helminc.com