'97 Ford T-bird defrost/AC/heat not working

Old 07-14-10, 06:49 PM
'97 Ford T-bird defrost/AC/heat not working

This unit has a system with a thermostat that you just set to a temp, like 73 degrees, and everything is automatic. It allows me to switch to defrost or redirect where the air comes out of the system, but temp is just a digital readout, no slide or turn controls. Well... the whole thing just quit. The A/C compressor isn't even kicking in when I turn the switch on... no fan blowing, no nothing.
I checked relevant fuses in the fuse box and didn't find anything blown. Does anyone know if there is another power feed to this unit? The location of a fusible link perhaps?
Here we are in the middle of the hottest July on record, and this has to happen... figures, doesn't it? LOL!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-10, 07:43 PM
Without the factory electrical diagrams, about all you can do is check all fuses. And check the fuses under the hood. Also check to be sure each fuse has power. Use a multimeter on DC volts 20 with the black lead to ground somewhere.

Old 07-15-10, 07:07 PM
Fuses under the hood??? THAT would help.... sometimes I think I've worked on too many cars. I think I'll wait until Saturday to look at it, I need a day off....

Old 07-15-10, 07:30 PM
Some newer vehicles can have 4 different fuse locations! Driver's side, passenger side, under the hood, and fusible links.

And as a rule, there are no rules with vehicles! I suppose some vehicles have fuses in the trunk? I just read about someone having a battery under the back seat! (I would never have found that one...)

The owner's manual should say where all the fuse locations are, but it does not always say everything which is on each fuse.

Old 07-20-10, 06:59 PM
If anyone cares to know... There was not a single blown fuse in anything and after questioning the owner a little more precisely, I also found out that the A/C had not been blowing "very cold" air... which meant to me that the A/C was not working anyway, so the fact that the compressor wasn't kicking in was something else entirely. GOOD GREIF!!!
Sooooo... I found the fan unit behind the glove box and unplugged it and used a test light. It was getting power. THAT's why there were no blown fuses... all power was fine! It was the damned blower motor! The blower motor quit... Advanced Auto parts had one in stock and after some acrobatics, I was able to swap them and all is well~!~!~! Now I'll add a little freon and see if we can get this thing to blow some cold air. Thanks for your input "Bill190"