Pontiac bonneville!

Old 07-14-10, 10:59 PM
Pontiac bonneville!

One of my rear brake cylinder started licking brake fluid, is it easy to replace?, and Do I have to change or will be a good idea to change the brake fluid in the car?, I've never done anything to the brake system at all, just replace the pads when necessary.
The car is a 1999 Pontiac Bonneville, 6 cylinders, not the supercharged.The car needs more things to work on, but this is the most important now.

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-10, 03:13 PM
no help!!!!, can someone tell me something?.

Old 07-24-10, 06:05 PM
It has been awhile for an answer.
When it comes to brakes it is best to be on the cautious side.
Pad replacements are easy.
When it comes to the bleeding of the hydraulic lines and the replacement of old parts, it can get difficult.
How difficult is the question.
Depends on the condition of the car.
I helped my sister in-law with her car with what started off to be a "simple" brake line repair. Ive done enough brakes to know that repairs that start off simple can get complex ,because if your going to do brakes then you gotta do them right.
3 days later she go her car back.

I think that is why there is a hesitation to answer your question.
How about some more info
Mileage? Rust?
Is car a daily driver or one that is parked and you are fixing it up?
Is there time and money to do a "proper" job if it needs it?

Old 07-25-10, 08:09 AM
I have a '98 Bonneville and I have replaced the rear brake cylinders, not a bad job if they're not rusted in. My experience was that they came right out and I had no problem.

Remove the brakes from the backing plate, spray the brake line fitting with some PB Blaster, let it soak a while. Give your backing plate a good cleaning while it's empty and put a little waterproof grease on the contact points where the shoes hit. Remove the brake line fitting and unbolt the wheel cylinder from behind, replace cylinder and get the brake line back on, install brakes, and have a buddy help you bleed them. You will want to replace the brake line fitting as quick as possible after the old one is removed, you don't want to lose any more fluid that you have to.

Be sure to use a line wrench when removing the brake line, a standard open end wrench will distort the fitting and you'll have leaking. Bleed the brakes until the fluid looks good, if it's nasty keep bleeding until it looks good. It would be a good idea to bleed all wheels after having the system open.

Word of caution, never let the reservoir run dry during the bleeding process, you'll be in for a big job if you do. Sometimes a dry reservoir takes it out of the hands of a DUIer and into the hands of a professional, especially when you are dealing with ABS.

Old 07-27-10, 08:15 PM
thank you very much, this is helpful information.