Automatic Transmission shifting problems - 94 Mustang AODE

Old 07-17-10, 05:56 PM
Automatic Transmission shifting problems - 94 Mustang AODE

I have a 94 Ford Mustang 3.8L AODE automatic transmission, and it is having shifting problems. It has 213,000 miles on it and the transmission was rebuilt at about 150,000 miles. I just had the fluid changed and the pan was clean as a whistle. The shifting problems occur at anytime, but especially when its hot out and when traveling at 50mph or more. The transmission seems to not know what gear it's suppose to be in at times, and it will shift around until it finally slams back into the gear its suppose to be in. It is not slipping, it is actually shifting gears on its own. Especially when I am coasting or on cruise control. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-10, 07:25 PM
Originally Posted by fpb7488 View Post
I just had the fluid changed . It is not slipping, it is actually shifting gears on its own. Especially when I am coasting or on cruise control. Any ideas?
Question #1.....What fluid did they put in????

In that era... MERCON fluid is all that should be used on a Ford A/T.

Is there a Check engine lamp lit???? A dropout or spiking TPS can randomly Think the car is accelerating, and disengage the lock-up, and restore it when the spike is no longer present.

Old 07-19-10, 04:27 PM
It was doing this before the fluid change. It was done at Ford anyways. Whatever it is, it is definitely relating to reading the car specs. If I leave my foot on the gas pedal at a constant point, it starts shifting all over the place, but if I'm gasing and braking the car, the car seems to better read what gear it's suppose to be in.