4 cats

Old 07-21-10, 10:50 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
4 cats

My hopefully soon to to be ex 95 Crown Vic had to go to a garage chain yesterday to change a catalytic converter gasket. Couldn't do it myself because for some reason Ford welded the bolts for the exahust pipes instead of using nuts and I don't have a welding rig. I saw 3 cats and the mechanic told me there was another one hidden. The exhaust starts as dual then goes to single, but was there a contest at the factory to see how many cats can be put into one car? the mechanic told me my jaw dropped when he mentioned the hidden cat. Have a good one folks!! A 13 day workweek ended for me today!!

Last edited by NEsportsfan; 07-21-10 at 10:51 AM. Reason: chain is not spelled cahin
Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-10, 10:55 AM
Idle is now so quiet, I almost started the car twice leaving the garage $95 later. Mechanic told me that these bolts are always a nightmare. If the bolts had nuts that were rusted on I could have done the job myself in about half an hour via breaking the bolts if need be or with a lot of PB blaster.

Old 07-21-10, 12:56 PM
Did he weld them back up or put ss bolts in the flanges so you could do it yourself i 10 years?

Old 07-21-10, 03:34 PM
Bolts and nuts were used.

Old 07-21-10, 03:36 PM
1993 was the year that California's own clean air standards went Federal. So there was a frantic random effort by the auto companies to achieve drastically lower emissions before the OBD2 standard began.

Besides there are two different catylists.

Old 07-21-10, 04:38 PM
Hopefully trading the car for a 94 Honda Accord. It is more my size, do not like big cars unless it is a full sized pickup.