Condensation in fog light housing

Old 07-23-10, 07:57 AM
Cool Condensation in fog light housing

I have a 2004 Impala that has condensation build up in the right side fog lamp housing. Anyone have an idea to get rid of this other than the obvious of buying a new housing.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-10, 10:12 AM
Is it completely sealed? If not you might try and blow a little air in there. If it is sealed then it has sprung a leak and must be replaced. I had an extra headlight assembly from an old Sebring once and experimented with breaking the seal. It was a complete failure. They are not made to be taken apart.

Old 07-23-10, 06:04 PM
if it's easy to replace, replace. on some cars, you have to remove half front to get them out. look 'em up on Certifit, very inexpensive parts.
you have to rid of condensate, or it will lime the inside to point it turning milky white.
i did very simple remedy in TN, where it was very humid and it was a menace on all of our cars. i drilled several holes in the upper headlight housing, and several at the lowest point of it, for drain. usually ended being the transition point between lowermost lens and lower housing. water drains out, sometimes quite a bit, and that was it, never had it collecting again, unless holes get plugged.
it's polycarbonate, regular drill bits work just fine. maybe 1/8th size.

Old 07-26-10, 08:23 AM
thanks, Guys for the replies, i'll try the hole drilling thing and when I screw it up. ( I'm good at that) I'll go buy a new one.

Old 07-26-10, 07:29 PM
donno how you gonna screw it. it is so simple to do. air flow holes you drill in the top of the housing, and it's flat surface.

those on the bottom of headlight are somewhat tricky, as drill bit can spring in spirals on the lens, scratching it, so just make sure your arm/hand is steady.

works very well and easy to do.