Body & Paint Question

Old 07-25-10, 06:53 PM
Z
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Body & Paint Question

I have a '92 Ford Mustang LX Convertible that needs body work and a paint job. I was going to take it to Macco and I reviewed them here on some other threads and read some bad reviews. I found a place for body and paint that says he will cut and weld new metal where possible on rust and do as little grinding and filling as possible. For paint work he says he uses Sherwin Williams clear coat which is supposed to be better than what Macco uses. Is this true? Can anyone verify this information or recommend a better brand of clear coat?

Thanks for any input.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-10, 04:12 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 270 Votes on 239 Posts
I've never sprayed any clear coat but have used SWP automotive paints and found them to be of good quality, I assume their base coat/clear coat would also be good.

I don't know for sure but I think Macco uses their own brand of paint. I've seen some decent paint jobs done by them but also some poor paint jobs. I think it depends more on the particular paint shop than the company on a whole.

Old 07-26-10, 07:29 AM
R
paint and body

There was an outfit like that around that bought left over paint and mixed all the same colors together and there was no way to match it later on. I think here is where you use the old adage "you get what you pay for" I would want to see some of the work done by a shop before I commited.

Old 07-26-10, 04:28 PM
Originally Posted by retired wrench View Post
I think here is where you use the old adage "you get what you pay for" I would want to see some of the work done by a shop before I commited.
I agree with both of those statements.
As far as the second one, they can pat you on the shoulder all they want and boast about how swell they are but unless you see one of their run-of-the-mill jobs or ask around about them you don't have any concrete assurance.

Old 07-26-10, 09:22 PM
Z
Question

Well my total quote for Macco was around $1,700 (3 months ago). I just went back today to update that same quote with a couple of other things to be done and changes and he said, "I will give you a full estimate at the time of service". Sorry if this is gonna sound like yelling but, I thought the point of an estimate (espcially a free one) was to get the price of all the work you want done before you paid. So far everything I mentioned that needed fixing he said, "I will try the best I can to repair it". I not going to pay for attempts.

"Do or do not. There is no 'try' " -Yoda

Would any of you guys go to Macco if they were telling you this?

Old 07-27-10, 04:31 AM
Group Moderator
Received 52 Votes on 42 Posts
No.

Old 07-27-10, 07:24 PM
Z
Question

Can anyone put any input to this?

not that yours isn't tow_guy but i want to see if anyone else agrees.

Cause I am sick of companies giving me BS response's.

Old 07-28-10, 04:23 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 270 Votes on 239 Posts
I also agree with TG. I wouldn't take anything anywhere to be repaired without a firm estimate or a good reason for possible extra charges.

Personally, I'd do the body work and paint it myself but I know that's not an option for everyone. A competent body man should be able to repair anything - it's just a matter of how much it will cost and is the car worth putting that kind of money into.

Old 07-28-10, 04:46 PM
I would try to forget that you wasted your time with that place and move on.

Okay there is no try, just do forget. Not all places are like that. That's what's so trying about looking for good service. You start thinking every place is the same. Not true!

Old 07-28-10, 05:26 PM
D
talk to people you know. try and get recommendations from others on good shops in your area. Word of mouth is the best.
then go visit those shops. ask them if they will let you look at works in progress and finished jobs. anyone can show you a shinny car. but most people never know if it was hacked up to get to that point or if it was done right.
Don't concern yourself over which brand of paint they use. PPG, Sherwin Williams, Glasurit, Diamont, Sikkens,DuPont, etc all all good paint systems. they each have their quirks but none are horrible. Each shop has its own reasons for the brand they use. Let them use it. They know the product.
Price wise a good paint job will run at least $3500 without any body work being done

Old 07-28-10, 06:40 PM
Z
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by mickblock View Post
Okay there is no try, just do forget.
You were quick on that one Mickblock... Thanks for all the input guys. For the record...I only have about $2,000 max to spend on this...so i want to try to get the best body work I can get done...the paint job I would like done well also. I don't want something that looks like a chimp did it so...again thanks to all who put there posts up.Beer 4U2

If you guys have any other suggestions to body work shops or anything else you want to comment on in this or any of the other statements in this thread, please, let me know or feel free to post. I hope this thread will find it's way to others computers for reference.

THANKS AGAIN GUYS!