Head Gasket

Old 07-25-10, 08:14 PM
Head Gasket

Are there any head gasket sealers you know of that actually work??

Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-10, 05:36 AM
I have rebuilt many engines and I do not use gasket sealer. If the surfaces are flat and CLEAN, it is unlikely that a sealer is needed. I have replaced gaskets that failed because the surface was not clean, even found small pieces of old gasket material. I always SAND the surface clean as new metal and in a case of a head gasket, I use FelPro gaskets when possible.
It must be remembered to use "torque sequence" and to tourque the bolts. Retorque is always a good idea and is sometimes not done.
I have found that "coppercoat" is used by many mechanics.

Old 07-28-10, 05:19 AM
Group Moderator
I think you misread him, Giles; probably looking for a mechanic-in-a-can.

I can't give you product names, but there are some high-priced treatments that I've heard a couple of people say actually work. Don't think I would bother unless it was a choice between a $100 bottle of sealer or junking the vehicle.

Old 07-28-10, 07:16 AM
Originally Posted by the_tow_guy View Post
I think you misread him, Giles; probably looking for a mechanic-in-a-can.

I can't give you product names, but there are some high-priced treatments that I've heard a couple of people say actually work. Don't think I would bother unless it was a choice between a $100 bottle of sealer or junking the vehicle.
I guess I did misread the post. Thanks for correction.
I have had some success with K&W Block Sealer, if water leakage is the problem. If oil, or compression, is the problem, I don't thank there is a product.

Old 07-28-10, 11:52 AM
K&W, Blue Devil, or any commercially available product that ISNT Cheaper than 40 Bucks...

Just keep in mind...There is a HUGE difference between leaking head gasket and BLOWN HEAD GASKET.

As mentioned, oil leak, compression leak , or any coolant leakage more than a few puffs at the tailpipe, REQUIRE Proper repair . Sorry, No "MAGIC IN A CAN" for that.

Search this Thread