01 exployer abs

Old 07-26-10, 04:29 AM
01 exployer abs

I just removed the fuse for the ABS brake system to see if that was causing my pulsing pedal which it is but now the check engine light is on is that normal? I did expect the ABS light to come on which it did but the check engine light ?Also now the speedometer is not working must pick up the speed from the abs sensor Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-10, 05:21 PM
Nah, it sounds like you pulled the wrong fuse. But ABS isn't going to kick in when traction is not broken. No ABS fault can cause that.
Your vehicles speed is detected by the Vehicle Speed Sensor at the rear end. It sends a signal to the speedometer but it's output is also used by the onboard computer for engine management.

Old 07-27-10, 05:11 AM
Abs fuse

I think I pulled the right fuse the pedal stoped surging and the ABS light did come on but don't understand the check engine light coming on at the same time

Old 07-27-10, 11:10 AM
Originally Posted by mickblock View Post
Nah, it sounds like you pulled the wrong fuse. But ABS isn't going to kick in when traction is not broken. No ABS fault can cause that.
Your vehicles speed is detected by the Vehicle Speed Sensor at the rear end. It sends a signal to the speedometer but it's output is also used by the onboard computer for engine management.
YES, an ABS fault can and will cause the ABS to activate when you have not lost traction. It is very common for an ABS sensor to send incorrect voltage to the ABS module and cause a false cycling of the ABS. This incorrect voltage can be caused by water intrusion in the wheel speed sensor circuit, a cracked or damaged tone ring, dirt build-up on exposed tone rings, air gap between sensor and tone ring incorrect or just a faulty sensor. These faults may or may not set a code and turn a light on.

Old 07-27-10, 04:05 PM
Thanks

Thanks guys appriciate the infoBeer 4U2

Old 07-27-10, 04:23 PM
Originally Posted by SLJ2137694 View Post
YES, an ABS fault can and will cause the ABS to activate when you have not lost traction. It is very common ...
Well then thanks for responding. Cleared up my misunderstanding and also proveded good info to actually answer the question.