2004 buick park ave trunk leak

Old 07-27-10, 03:02 PM
2004 buick park ave trunk leak

I just purchased a 2004 Park Ave Ultra @ a dealer and found out that in the trunk and the spare tire carrier, it has quite a bit of water. I ran the garden hose around the trunk lid seal and can't seem to find a leak. It has been a very wet year in Iowa this year, but the previous owner said that they were not aware of any leaks.

Does anyone have a suggestion or has had the same or similar problem with a Park Ave?

Also, on the htg/ac control, in the middle part that shows the outside temp etc, the green lights go dim, but when you peck on the unit, they will brighten back up for awhile. Any suggestions here?

Thank you,

Duane Gordon

Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-10, 06:22 PM
it's not a leak.
it's condensate.
locate drain hole plug in the bottom of the tire well and remove it.
if you don't have one, drill a hole, just make sure there's nothing under the spot where you intend to put the hole.

Old 07-28-10, 05:29 AM
Too much moisture to be condensation and I would have thought that GM would have already left a drain hole open for drainage if it was necessary. I think there has to be another answer, but thanks for the reply.

Old 07-28-10, 06:37 AM
trunk leak

Have some one get in the trunk with a flashlight (close the lid carefully or you will damage someones ears) then flood it with a hose. If you dont see anything by flooding the trunk lid move forward.

Old 07-28-10, 10:21 AM
I will try this, but I'm not sure what you mean by "move forward"?

Thank you,

Duane Gordon

Old 07-28-10, 05:28 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Just a guess but I think he meant back of the car toward the front.

Old 07-28-10, 05:32 PM
does it have a sunroof. if it does the drain hose may not be run properly and could be draining into the trunk

Old 07-28-10, 07:53 PM
well, you can think anything you want to. i have drained quarts of water from almost every car we ever owned, with tire well, here in WA and in TN, where humidity is high. if GM did not put a drain plug there, that's their problem, many cars do. Ford didn't, so drill bit did it.
esp if car is parked outside.
sorry, i just feel for ya, planning on doing all those complex tests for something so trivial and easily fixable.

Old 07-28-10, 09:00 PM
I'd also lift everything out of the trunk and check all of the body grommets if the leak isn't caused by weather sealing.
The various body panels have holes in them that allow them to be aligned on welding fixtures during manufacture which are later plugged up. These grommets can get mushed out of place. Although the larger ones are glued.
Some of the small seals are located under the trunk carpet, but can be viewed from underneath the car if you don't relish the idea of de-trimming the trunk.

Old 07-29-10, 06:58 AM
Take it back to the dealer you bought it from and ask him these questions.

Old 07-29-10, 07:09 AM
Neosportsfan:
Yes it does have a sunroof

ukrbyk:
Thank you for the input. I just traded off a 2000 Buick Park Avenue, never had water in the trunk in that car, so to me your theory does not "hold water". Not saying you are wrong, but condensation makes no sense to me for the amount of water it had.

Mickblock:
Thank you and I will check out your theory, I already have the carpet out in order for it to dry out. Thank you.

Thanks to all!

Duane Gordon