A different clutch problem

Old 07-30-10, 10:13 AM
A different clutch problem

All of sudden having trouble with my clutch. The shifter shifts fine, however, having problems engaging/disengaging clutch (depressing/releasing foot pedal). It inconsistently all of sudden does one of the following:

Sometimes shift fine,

Sometime feels very week and when you let out on the foot pedal either slowing begins to move forward and/or does not go at all

Other times the pedal becomes very hard to push in and feels like its pushing back against your foot and upon release it may not do anything or may pop all of sudden and literally spin the tires.

Can someone diagnosis the problem

Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-10, 01:51 PM
Originally Posted by kennn View Post
All of sudden having trouble with my clutch. The shifter shifts fine, however, having problems engaging/disengaging clutch (depressing/releasing foot pedal). It inconsistently all of sudden does one of the following:

Sometimes shift fine,

Sometime feels very week and when you let out on the foot pedal either slowing begins to move forward and/or does not go at all

Other times the pedal becomes very hard to push in and feels like its pushing back against your foot and upon release it may not do anything or may pop all of sudden and literally spin the tires.

Can someone diagnosis the problem
1st off
what are we working on?

Old 07-30-10, 01:54 PM
Sorry,

1996 Ford Ranger 2L 5-speed with 96,000 miles

Old 07-30-10, 03:02 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Putting my 2001 Dodge 3500 in the shop Monday for the same thing. It is either the clutch master cylinder, clutch slave cylinder or both, but you won't know until you get into it. NOW for better news. Not sure if your model truck does it, but Ford, Chevy and Dodge sell the Master/slave and connecting hose as a unit, so it can be installed without bleeding. It is already charged. I'm having the guy just replace it all and be done with it. You can spend $ on the master....oops, it was in good shape, then rebuild the slave....cost still the same as the unit price.

Old 07-30-10, 07:58 PM
CHANDLER is on the right path!
the way the 'hydraulic' clutch system is designed-( I was not involved)- when the slightest amount of air is allowed in to the system-it migrates to the 'top' of the clutch-master/ cylinder- & 'can not' be bled out.!!