Head Gasket question

Old 07-30-10, 10:42 AM
Head Gasket question

Ok new to the forum and I have this question that no one is able to answer. I would really like to find some one to explain this scenario.

Let me start out with some back ground. I have a piece of farm equipment that is a 4 cylinder diesel that runs hot. I thought it was the thermostat stuck shut so I removed it. It still runs hot. I flushed the radiator with the Peak flush additive. The radiator is full of white crusty deposits, engine ran quite cool with just water and that additive. Drained the system and put antifreeze back in, and it's right back to running hot again. Now I know the pater pump is working, because I can see some circulation in the radiator. I believe that the radiator needs to be hot tanked and cleaned out by a radiator shop to get the flow back to where it needs to be.

Now here is the part where my question is. I have all sorts of morons telling me that I have a blown head gasket. Which is a bunch of BS, I know the radiator is clogged and that is my problem.

Here is the question if there is no leaks of antifreeze internally or externally. No oil in the coolant or visa versa. The radiator stays full right to the top. No smoke from the exhaust. Can some one please explain to me how a head gasket could be blown ?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-10, 01:07 PM
Well, you pretty well have eliminated any losing of the antifreeze from the system with the things you have listed, so, no, the head gasket wouldn't be blown and the most likely is the radiator. Boiling it may or may not take care of it. I imagine it would have to be rodded.

On a diesel with the higher compression the first thought is generally head gasket leakage, but other things come into play as well.

Since you got the engine to run cooler with just water and additive it is likely the plugged radiator. Antifreeze has a higher viscosity and wouldn't move through restricted ports as well.

Old 07-30-10, 04:09 PM
I bought another brand of that radiator flush, Prestone. I'm going to drain the rad and run this stuff for a while before I put the antifreeze back in. Hopefully it will eat some of the crud down inside.

Old 07-30-10, 06:18 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by junkyarddoggie View Post
Here is the question if there is no leaks of antifreeze internally or externally. No oil in the coolant or visa versa. The radiator stays full right to the top. No smoke from the exhaust. Can some one please explain to me how a head gasket could be blown ?
Did you say this to those who said your head gasket is blown, to see what they would say?

Old 08-01-10, 07:44 AM
Yes I told that to those guys. I asked to please explain why the bad head gasket. They could not answer other than it was just bad. I have worked on cars and equipment for about 30 years and I have only seen a truly blown head gasket about three times. All other times the problem was something else entirely. I guess you will hear those dumb obscure ideas from idiots that think they know what they are doing.

Old 08-03-10, 07:54 AM
It depends on how the head gasket is blown. In your case it is possible that the combustion gases are making their way to the cooling system. This would overheat the temperature sensor, yet you wouldn't lose any coolant. You should have an overpressure situation and bubbling or gargling in the radiator with the radiator cap removed.

Search this Thread