Air turning on and off by itself

Old 08-04-10, 03:12 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Air turning on and off by itself

my air conditioner in my 02 jeep cherokee will be blowing cold air but then just shut off while still in the on position, sometimes it will start blowing again on its own, or i have to turn it off and back on. what could be the problem?

Old 08-04-10, 04:31 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Electrical switches in vehicles are sometimes open to the air and dust can get in and dirty the electrical contacts.

Sometimes you can take apart the switches and clean them with a pencil eraser or electrical contact cleaner.

Or replace the switch.

And vehicles also have relays which turn things on/off. A relay is an electrically operated switch with contacts the same as a manual switch. The contacts in a relay can sometimes be cleaned as well.

The problem could be dirty switch contacts, dirty relay contacts, or loose/dirty electrical connectors.

After cleaning electrical contacts, put a dab of "dielectric grease" on the contacts. That will keep them working. Get that at an auto parts store.

If you have a factory wiring diagram, you can use a multimeter for testing to find the exact source of the problem without guessing. Order factory manuals from your dealer.

How to use a multimeter...
how to use a multimeter on a car - Google Search

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: