check engine light on

Old 08-06-10, 07:16 PM
check engine light on

I have a 98 ford windstar with 137000 miles on it. Other than interior light problems,which this model is famous for, now my check engine light is on.This van never has used any oil and still doesnt.All fluids levels are fine.I took it to a mechanic and he said he thought it was a manifold problem .He ran cheap version unit to scan the codes and thats how he came up with his answer of manifolds. I cleaned the maf sensor with electrical spray and let it dry good. Any one who has had this problem with this model have any solutions that i can try? I reallize this could be 1000 things but i got to start somewhere. Thanks for any ideas on this.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-10, 08:48 PM
You need the actual code(s) in order of their appearance on the scanner for anyone to help.
Either that or a list of symptoms if any.

Electrical spray ain't no good for the MAF sensor since it leaves a residue. You want to use MAF sensor cleaner only.

Old 08-07-10, 06:38 AM
Group Moderator
I agree with mick; without codes it could be anything from a loose gas cap to an O2 sensor. Most AutoZones will still do a free code read if there's one nearby.

Old 08-07-10, 05:04 PM
Third agreement need the actual codes.If they seem to think manifolds betting they were something to the effect of bank1&2 lean codes this can be caused by a number of things from simple to actual manifold gaskets.

Old 08-08-10, 01:38 PM
check engine light on

I went to autozone and the code isP1538. It also said manufacturers control vehicle speed.Idle speed control auxilary something like upat.Sorry i can't read the last word.I was writing on my knee. thanks for your help.

Old 08-08-10, 01:57 PM
engine light on

I keep seeing engine manifold runner control on alot of the ford problem websites.From reading on it looks like everything has problems even new ones. thanks

Old 08-08-10, 02:38 PM
P1538
Intake Manifold Runner Control Stuck Open (Bank 2)

I forgot the function of this thing but it basically widens the effective power range of you engine.

Below a certain RPM it's supposed to be shut and then open up during passing acceleration or vice-verse!

That's the extent of my knowledge on this one.

Old 08-09-10, 06:10 AM
Group Moderator