changed brake pads, now wheels are squealling and clicking, help?

Old 08-09-10, 08:09 PM
changed brake pads, now wheels are squealling and clicking, help?

Hello all!
Today I changed my brake pads for the first time. I knew my pads were getting old, so I watched some youtube videos, then went to my in town auto parts store for the Duralast pads and some more helpful advice, and so I was pretty confident.
Once I got the wheels off, I could see that I was right in time for a brake pad change as there was almost nothing left on the pads. I then inspected the rotors and there was only minimal edge rusting and no gouging or warping that I could see, and there was no rocking, so I guessed that the bearings were okay too.

Now, for the details; my vehicle is a 2000 Ford E-150 8-cylinder Triton 1/2 ton van.

Well, after my fun afternoon of doing something new that I had never done before, I took my van out on the road. And I will say that the stopping power was greatly improved!
HOWEVER! After only a few moments I noticed a tremendous squealing noise coming from my front left and a clicking-clacking noise coming from the right.
I at first thought that the sounds might go away if I drove for about 20 minutes and even went up to about 45mph.
The sounds followed me everywhere!
When I got back home, I inspected my work, and both wheels were HOT!!! The right one that was clicky-clacking was even making a hissing sound. I spat on the hub and sure enough it sizzled off!

Now what the heck have I done wrong here? None of this was happening to my old (almost worn out) brake pads, the rotors looked goo, I even have a photo of one. I did as the videos and auto parts store guy said and used two C-clamps to push back in the calipers. While I was compressing the calipers, I even had the cap on the brake fluid reservoir released... because the guy at the store said there might be a pressure issue if I didn't do that. I will say that once I had the new pads on, it looks like the brake fluid in the reservoir is slightly above the _MAX_ line. Is that a problem?

Please tell me that I haven;t done something stupid, and that this is easily fixed... please?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-10, 08:22 PM
I just watched another video, on this site and saw two things that no other video or person mentioned.
The two caliper bolts, is it possible to over-tighten them on my type of Ford?
Then brake grease, should I have used brake grease between the backsides of the pads and the caliper and cradle? Because I didn't use any grease or lubricant of any kind.

Help?
Thanks.

Old 08-09-10, 08:46 PM
let me do this:
1. jack the car
2. remove the tire
3. locate the brake caliper bolts; on some makes, you have to remove both of them; on some, bottom one is removed and caliper swings up.
4. remove brake pads, usually, they just pop out
5. securely support caliper on top of the rotor; using old pad as a flat surface, squeeze caliper piston back into the caliper body with C-clamp. brake fluid level should raise some in the master cylinder.
6. lubricate brake pad guides and caliper bolts with brake grease.
if you want to use anti squeak lube, you can apply that to the back of the brake pad, against the caliper; most brake pads are sold with some sort of anti squeak shims
7. install brake pads; one with wear sensor usually goes on the back
slide caliper over the brake pads and lock it in place; you can not over tighten the bolts
8. grab caliper and move it back and for. it should slide gently, maybe 1/8th of an inch.

so, if you have done all this, then you have done nothing wrong.

1. your caliper is seized; piston comes out and does not retract. this will explain overheated rotor. NORMALLY, ROTORS ARE VERY HOT. look if you see blue areas on rotors. that is sign of REALLY overheated rotor.
2. you have brake pad installed crooked, so that it jams against the rotor
3. you have dust cover shield, behind the rotor, bent and rubbing - squealing.
4. were those ceramic brake pads? of course, they are "the best" and recommended first, as they are expensive. i have ceramic pads squeaking right before halt, that's how they are.

raise front up and spin wheel with hand. you should easily determine what squeals. as of cluckity clunk, something's loose.

betcha it's the dust shield that squeals.

Old 08-09-10, 10:05 PM
Thanks for the reply!
I went digging through my granfathers workshop and found some Delco-Moraine Automatic Brake Pad and Shoe Lubricant. That 30+ year old can had a goop that looks just like peanut butter. There was even a little brush inside the lid!

I've torn apart all the work I did earlier, jacked up the van, popped off the wheels, and went to work... again!
I lubricated everything you suggested, and the calipers do have some free motion.
The pads I'm using are the next to cheapest Duralast the Autozone carries.
The clickety-clecking noise was in fact the pad that sits against the caliper had come loose. YES the ENTIRE PAD was just about out... it's a wonder it didn't fall out on my earleir test drive. But I've secured everything in place now, and have things lubed up!

Well, now I'm about to take the van around the block to see how well I've fixed my fix!

Old 08-10-10, 07:12 PM
well, you shoulda have spun that left wheel with van jacked just to listen to where the noise comes from...
\
look at it this way. you have learned something useful. ultimately, you have saved some $$. you mated yourself with your vehicle. you had a chance to get under and check on this and that, like CV joint boots, oil leaks, etc. you will have a story to pass onto others, and grandchildren, some day. it is good you had to do over, as next time you'll be more careful.

same time, you are rookie lucky, that you did not go on freeway and hit 75.

experience is not what happens to a person; experience is what person does with what happens to that person.