gears problem

Old 08-11-10, 08:27 AM
gears problem

Hi,

I was driving my car and suddenly the car stopped accelerating.
for several seconds the engine was running without embrassing the ransmission gears( I suppose) then it run well.
After that, I start noticing that the change of gears dosn't happen smoothly and the check light engine is on.

Any idea what might causing this ?

Thank you
ben

Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-10, 09:13 AM
Have the diagnostic code read at a factory dealer. If the code was generated by a transmission computer module, then I don't think regular code readers would display that code?

Old 08-11-10, 11:33 AM
Year, make and model would sure help. Along with mileage and service history.

Old 08-11-10, 02:28 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
This problem sounds like it could be transmission/transaxle related. Read on and you’ll see why I say “COULD” For more accurate repair information, post the year, make, model and mileage of your vehicle. Your vehicle could have a “TCM”.

This is the transmission control module for the transmission. Just think of it as a separate computer for the transmission. Sometimes it’s difficult to determine if a problem is engine related or transmission related.

Sometimes problems overlap and are similar, and can seem to present in the same way. In other words, what can appear to be a slip or hesitation in the transmission could turn out to be a failing fuel pump that’s not maintaining fuel pressure or a severely clogged fuel filter.

You said the “CHECK ENGINE LIGHT” was on. Well let’s make sure the code or codes that are stored in the ECM are not engine related. To do that go to a “CHAIN” type auto parts store. (Auto Zone for example). These types of stores scan car computers and read codes for “FREE”.

Have a scan done and write down the code (or codes) so you don’t forget them. (Yes it is possible for the ECM to store more than one code). After you have the code or codes post them for us to see.

Old 08-12-10, 03:10 PM
more info

Hi,

It's a ford focus 2002 and has 140000 in mileage
thank you all

Old 08-13-10, 12:39 PM
(Quote) It's a ford focus 2002 and has 140000 in mileage.

Thank you for that bit of information. Your "Focus" has an "Electronic Transmission". I'm still waiting for you to post "Engine" not "TCM" error codes. Thank You.

Old 08-14-10, 08:01 AM
engine

the engine is 4 cylinder ( focus zts)
thanks

Old 08-14-10, 10:59 AM
OrdinaryGuy,

Thank you for you’re replies so far. Unfortunately you are not providing us with the information we need to help you resolve your issue. This is happening because you are not taking the time necessary to read and thoroughly understand our questions and answers. Please take more time to read and understand our replies so you can provide us with the information we need. Remember, you are our hands and eyes here. We don’t have your Focus in front of us. Without input and correct answers from you we won’t be able to help you fix the issue.

(Quote) the engine is 4 cylinder ( focus zts)

I ALREADY KNOW IT’S A 4 CYLINDER ZTS ENGINE. WHAT I’m ASKING FOR HERE ARE ENGINE ERROR CODES. HAVE THE CARS COMPUTER SCANNED AND POST ANY CODES THAT ARE STORED IN THE COMPUTER.

Old 08-14-10, 12:45 PM
codes

hi,

last time you confused me when you said "I'm still waiting for you to post "Engine" not "TCM" error codes "
anyaway the scan error says :shift solenoid p0750.

problem cause:
shift select cable out of adjustment
clogged or leaky shift solenoid#1
blocked passages in valve body.

should I replace that solenoid?

Thank you.

Old 08-14-10, 02:03 PM
Ordinaryguy,

PO750 solenoid circuit failure SSA circuit failed to provide voltage drop across solenoid.

Circuit open or shorted or PCM driver failure during on-board diagnostic.

No reverse gear (short) or no fourth gear (open). Refer to Pinpoint Test A.

(You asked) should I replace that solenoid?

Yes, but only after pinpoint test “A” is confirmed.

The wire harness (circuit) and wire connector feeding the solenoid are confirmed.

Check with a dealer for a TSB. I no longer have access to TSB’s, but I’m pretty sure one was issued. (New updated Solenoids are available).

Don’t let any mechanic try to resolve this issue. You need an “ASE Transmission Pro” for this one. I would do it, but I’m too retired, too old, and too fat. (LOL)

Best Regards
Sam

Old 08-23-10, 08:07 PM
I changed the shift solenoid and the car is running fine.

Thank you

ben