2000 Saab 93 Puff of blue smoke at morning startup

Old 08-12-10, 10:24 AM
2000 Saab 93 Puff of blue smoke at morning startup

The wife's 2000 Saab 93 2.0 turbo blows a puff of blue smoke after sitting overnight. Only 40,000 miles on the car and it has had every oil change on time. We bought it new. Sometimes the car sits for weeks not being driven hence the low mileage over 10 years, so I was not sure if this sitting could cause premature valve seal issues or if there are other Saab problems that cause this. I heard somewhere that there also is some kind of control value issue relating to a turbo tube that was a Saab issue. I don't think the car has a PCV. Does anyone have any idea about this, and if it is the valve seals, would any of the oil adds out there improve the valve seal performance. The car otherwise runs perfect so far and just passed the yearly emission test. Should I ignore the problem and wait and see or is this something I should try and fix soon? How much do valve seals normally cost to replace in an overhead cam engine?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-10, 11:34 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Letís start off small and easy before we jump to the possibility a seal issue. As you can see the car does have a PCV valve (click on the link below). First confirm an operational PCV valve and PCV system.

2000 SAAB 9-3 2.0L 1985cc L4 FI Turbo (H) [B205L] DOHC Emission : PCV Valve Auto Parts

Old 08-12-10, 12:27 PM
Thank you ASE Master. I am out of town for a few days, but will check it out when I get back and report back on it. Perhaps not driving the car often enough has caused the valve to stick. If so would it need replacing, or is cleaning an option. I have never worked on a Saab before much, so this will be a great learning experience. There is alot packaged under the hood on this car. There aren't many around these days either, and never really were but that is what we like about having it.

Old 08-12-10, 07:33 PM
blue smoke in the morning or under sharp acceleration is blow by burn. rings, valve stem seals. white smoke is coolant or water..

cars are not made to sit do squat, unless they are in Jey's garage. rubber pieces are meant to be lubricated by oil. sitting for long time drips oil down into cranckcase, seals get dry. rust comes either. there's always humidity inside somewhere. oxidation.

at least, run engine for about 10 minutes once a week.

Old 08-13-10, 10:27 AM
Group Moderator
I vote valve seals and I wouldn't lose any sleep over them until the overall consumption got bad.

Old 08-13-10, 11:25 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
(Quote) If so would it need replacing, or is cleaning an option.

The first thing is to remember that we are dealing with a turbo here. I'm inclined to agree with my colleagues answers on this issue, but I've had cases where the "Blue Smoke" issue was caused by both a failing PCV valve (and or) a clogged up PCV system. Better to change the PCV and use a long thin wire metal brush and a can of throttle body cleaner to clean the PCV passageway. BTW, are you using a "K&N Oil Soaked Air Filter". If yes that could be causing or making the issue worse. Go back to the "OE" air filter set-up.

Search this Thread