Loud Noise From 2.5L Engine -- Not Moose!

Old 08-13-10, 08:49 AM
Loud Noise From 2.5L Engine -- Not Moose!

I have a 99 Mercury Mystique with 2.5L Duratec and 90K on it. A couple of weeks ago it picked up a very loud constant noise starting around 25-30mph up to 60mph, kind of like a droning sound. It quiets down ever so slightly at around 70. There is a tiny vibration in the steering wheel. It is NOT the moosing noise that is prevalent in this engine (I know what that sounds like and this isn't it. Also, have done the throttle hang fix and replaced the IAC). Revving the engine doesn't affect it and when I put the car in neutral while driving, it continues until it slows to 25 and then disappears.

I'd say it was wheel bearings, but I just replaced them last year. I used OEM sealed bearings and had a speed shop press them on for me. Also, no grinding noise when I turn and no play in the wheel. I also replaced ball joints at that time. Also have fairly new rotors that show no sign of warping and pads are in good shape. CV boots are intact.

I've checked everywhere for loose metal or plastic that could be vibrating (CC shield and for holes in exhaust pipe/muffler) but couldn't find anything. Tranny is filled and no burned or foamy fluid.

The only thing I could even remotely guess at is the bushings on the lower control arms are in rough shape and need to be replaced. (I know, I should have done it when I did the bearings and ball joints.) Could this be the source of the noise?

Any other places to look or check out? It's definitely louder in the car than out. Thanks for the help.

Last edited by mmichaelk; 08-13-10 at 08:50 AM. Reason: Misspelling
Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-10, 08:56 AM
Yes it could be those bushings, considering you get the vibration in the steering wheel. The noise and occurrence of vibration wouldn't even have to coincide eaxactly, but do they?

Old 08-13-10, 09:26 AM
check out the bearing that supports the passenger side drive axle- just inside of the inner c/v joint.

Old 08-13-10, 10:32 AM
Originally Posted by mickblock View Post
Yes it could be those bushings, considering you get the vibration in the steering wheel. The noise and occurrence of vibration wouldn't even have to coincide eaxactly, but do they?
Yes, it's a very minute vibration, barely feel it in the wheel, but it does only happen when the noise is occurring.

Old 08-13-10, 11:07 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Is it possible for you to make a "You Tube Video" of the noise and post it? Off the top of my head I'm thinking inner cv joints or a tire issue. Does rotating the tires impact the noise?

Old 08-13-10, 11:24 AM
Originally Posted by newtofta View Post
check out the bearing that supports the passenger side drive axle- just inside of the inner c/v joint.
I'll look when I get home. Didn't even know there was a bearing there but it makes sense. Thanks.

Old 08-13-10, 11:28 AM
Originally Posted by ASE MASTER View Post
Is it possible for you to make a "You Tube Video" of the noise and post it? Off the top of my head I'm thinking inner cv joints or a tire issue. Does rotating the tires impact the noise?
I'll see about grabbing some video. Tried rotating the tires but it made no difference whatsoever. Can't say for sure the condition of the CV joints with regards to wear, but the boots are intact with no tears or cuts, so I don't think there's a contamination problem.

Old 08-14-10, 07:39 PM
Okay, tried to check the bearing behind the inner passenger side CV joint. Couldn't get access. Any advice on how to inspect it and more importantly, replace it if it is bad?

BTW, going to replace the LCAs anywaywheteher they're the cause of the noise or not as the bushings are really disintegrating fast. Will I have to pull the axle/spindle or can I just spread the knuckle holding the ball joint and work from there? Thanks.

Old 08-15-10, 11:14 AM
it is a tricky situation.
!!AND SAFETY IS A MUST!!
!!properly!! support vehicle.
1st- block right -tire from spinning ( block of some sort/ or xtra wheel under tire)-use engine to spin left tire to about 20 mph on the speedo ( actual speed will be doubled)-listen from inside & note any sound.
then reverse the process- & note nose from right tire/axle.
? is it louder?- if so- try letting the eng ilde with it in drive - use a 3 ft long listing ing type device to try to locate noise to the support bearing.
( what 'i' do is usa a long phillips screw driver-place tip on bearing housing-& handle on my cheek bone just in front of my ear)

Old 08-20-10, 01:32 PM
Are you sure it's a bearing? How about the air filter making the noise?

Old 08-25-10, 06:45 AM
Problem Solved

Just in case anyone was wondering, the noise turned out to be bearings after all. However, I wanted to point out that it wasn't the bearings that failed, but the install.

The guy who press fit the new ones said whomever did the previous press fitting did a major hack job, using a blow torch on them at one point. He said the bearings didn't fail; the installer did. And I originally had this done at what I thought and had heard was a very reputable speed shop.

Just goes to show that you have to be careful who does the work. Thanks to everyone who had a suggestion and offered help.