Plymouth Neon won't start :(

Old 08-14-10, 03:03 PM
Unhappy Plymouth Neon won't start :(

I have a 2000 plymouth neon (standard) and the battery is good. Had it checked last night.

But, when I go to turn the key to start the car, all the lights come on...everything, but it won't start.

There is no noise, no clicking.

Could this be the battery cables?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-10, 03:56 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Not battery cables. You said the battery was checked last night, but you didn’t say how it was checked? If a voltmeter was simply put across both terminals and the reading was 12 volts then the battery was checked incorrectly. You should know that a battery has an amperage rating as well. Amperage is “PUSH”. Amperage is what’s responsible for getting the voltage to the areas of the cars electrical system that need it. So a battery that reads twelve volts, but has zero amps is dead. You can remove the battery from the car and take it to a chain type auto parts store (Auto Zone or Pep Boy’s) for example and have a “Load Test” done on the battery. However before doing that you should confirm there aren’t any blown fuses, circuit breakers, or fusible links. You should also confirm an operational starter relay. You should disconnect any aftermarket alarm, anti theft device, or remote convenience system. Failure with either of those can stop a car from starting. You also must confirm a circuit down to the starter. For that all you need is a test light and a helper. Have your helper sit behind the wheel and turn the ignition key all the way forward to the full start position. Make sure he holds the key in that position. Now with one side of the test light grounded use the other side of the test light to confirm voltage to the starter solenoid. If the test light lights it means that the circuit is good down to the starter. At this point you should give the starter and solenoid a few taps with a hammer. If the car starts, it means that the starter is defective and must be replaced.

Old 08-14-10, 04:22 PM
What about the clutch ignition lock switch?

Old 08-14-10, 04:39 PM
I don't know about your specific car, but...

Manual transmission cars will have switches on the clutch pedal and on the transmission for neutral. And depending on the car, one or both may need to be engaged before you can start the car. Mostly clutch needs to be in all* the way in to start.

But if one of those switches are broken or the wiring to it broken or the fuse to it broken, then no start!

*My short next door neighbor lady could not get a truck of hers to start. I went over and it started right up! Then I turned if off and later she tried to start it and it wouldn't start again! I tried and it started right up. (I had longer legs and could press in the clutch further...)

How to troubleshoot a starter...
Google

Old 08-14-10, 04:44 PM
Yeah, I've always had to push the clutch in to get it to start.

And, I believe it's been going out (clutch switch) because the car wouldn't start a couple of times when I was out shopping or whatever and I'd wait a minute, make sure the clutch was pushed in all the way and then it would start.

But, this time...nothing. So, there's a good chance that's it or the relay.

It's a 2000 plymouth neon 2.0 L 16 volt engine.

Old 08-14-10, 05:01 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
(Question) What about the clutch ignition lock switch?

(Quote) But, this time...nothing.

Red flag here is "Nothing".

You’re putting the cart before the horse here. I’m aware of the clutch ignition lock switch. Trust me I didn’t forget about it. I was getting to it, but I want to see the answers and results to the questions and items I asked in my first response, because of your above "Nothing" quote. First step towards being a “Great Mechanic” is to rule out the “basics” first.

Old 08-14-10, 05:06 PM
will do that and do appreciate it.

Old 08-15-10, 02:43 PM
UPDATE:

It was the starter. Got it replaced and the car now runs.

The solenoid ceased up. It's caused mainly because I have a rear main seal oil leak and the oil is getting on the starter.

So, next question...how to fix rear main seal oil leak?