94 Ford Explorer Over Heating

Old 08-16-10, 07:44 PM
Question 94 Ford Explorer Over Heating

Hi All..... here's low down on my Explorer

New heads put in about 8 months ago.
New but cheap thermostat 8 months ago.

Didn't flush the raditor like it was suggested. Just forgot.

Truck runs great except the overheating which just started a couple of days ago. The needle used to go to about the N and O on NORMAL. It started going up to the half way mark (M)while driving around town then when on the highway it went up to the L but not to the red. I live in San Diego so the climate is perfect and I never run the AC.

So my question is clogged radiator, stuck thermostat or something else? And how do I do a check on process of elimination? I not mechanically inclined and don't completely trust most shops being female. But I do understand what's explained to me. Just would like to know more before having a shop tell me I need a new engine (just joking) but I'm sure you know what I mean.

ThanksBeer 4U2

Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-10, 08:09 PM
(((New but cheap thermostat 8 months ago.))) Hi Plata,, & Welcome... By the discription of your symptoms, I think I'd try a new t-stat... When it comes to tune-up kinda stuff,, I always use the OEM parts,, The aftermarket stuff works,, but sometimes it can burn you,, The new Thermostat from your loacal Ford dealer may even be less money,, Give them a call,,,, Also make sure you do flush the rad, to be safe... Roger

Last edited by hopkinsr2; 08-16-10 at 08:13 PM. Reason: Spelling, Again
Old 08-17-10, 11:12 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You could have “Air” in the system (among other things). First below and post back the results. If this doesn’t help (and the overheating continues) we’ll post additional repair recommendations.

You can “Purge” (remove air) from your trucks cooling system by drilling holes in the steel plate of the thermostat. Drill a 1/16hole at the 12:00 and 6:00 position. An 1/8 hole will be too big. The idea of this is that it lets the water pass through the 6:00 hole while displacing air back through the 12:00 hole.

Old 08-17-10, 08:07 PM
Originally Posted by ASE MASTER View Post

You can “Purge” (remove air) from your trucks cooling system by drilling holes in the steel plate of the thermostat. Drill a 1/16hole at the 12:00 and 6:00 position. An 1/8 hole will be too big. The idea of this is that it lets the water pass through the 6:00 hole while displacing air back through the 12:00 hole.
So now he has to open the cooling system again to replace the t-stat with one that doesen't have holes in it.. Since you are an ASE Tec, you would know the OEM Ford t-stat has a "Jiggle-pin" in it that does exactly that,than seals when the pressure of the water pushes on it.. He said he used a cheep t-stat, so lets not try to cover up another problem by drilling holes in a t-stat that doesent work.... Somethings wrong with it.. Let's help him fix it.... I don't want to offend any one but after 30 years in the Auto trade as A Master Ford Certified Tech in Canada, I really don't like fixing things like this.. Sorry for my opinion,, I'll probably be bashed now, Right??? Roger

Old 08-17-10, 08:17 PM
(Quote) I'll probably be bashed now, Right??? Roger

Not at all Roger. Respect your input. I have no problem with agreeing to disagree.

Sam

Old 08-18-10, 06:51 AM
From my own experience with a '97 Explorer, I believe the 4.0 engines were prone to thermostat problems. Mine did the same thing, the temperature gauge registering very high, but never quite going all the way to the red zone. Replacing the thermostat did the trick for me. I've read that, for some reason, thermostats are prone to failure with this engine.

Old 08-18-10, 01:43 PM
(QUOTE) I've read that, for some reason, thermostats are prone to failure with this engine.

Nothing special about this engine. Can run into this issue with any engine. To (practically eliminate the issue) start drilling two 1/16 holes in the plate of the thermostat before installation. (See my first answer above).

Old 08-18-10, 07:25 PM
[QUOTE=ASE MASTER;1759269 Can run into this issue with any engine. To (practically eliminate the issue) start drilling two 1/16 holes in the plate of the thermostat before installation. (See my first answer above).[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your respect Sam,, I'll leave this thread to you as I totally disagree with your fix of drilling holes in a t-stat..I do have to admit that a lot of people get away with doing things that I would never do as I have to warranty them & in the winter when the heater doesn't work, I'm into another t-stat for free... Just another thought,,,,Thanks,,,, Roger

Old 08-19-10, 10:44 AM
Roger,

Read your answers all the time. You’re a good mechanic. Very through and very complete.

(Quote) warranty them & in the winter when the heater doesn't work????

What am I missing buddy????

Never had this happen, but always willing to learn something new from another pro.

Are you saying drilling holes in “Stat” will cause the heater not to work????

Best Regards
Sam

Hey Buddy!!!!

Just went back and read all the posts. Realized you and I are on the same page on this. You said change the “Stat”. Yours was the first answer. Mine was second. In my answer I SHOULD HAVE SAID…. “Yes before installing the new stat drill two 1/16 holes in the plate. I do that even on Fords stats that have the pin. Never trusted that pin. Holes can’t fail. Think my answer was under the influence of “JIM BEAM” that day (LOL). What’s your pleasure?

Last edited by ASE MASTER; 08-19-10 at 11:35 AM.