C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
99 Cavalier Brake Leak

* Report this post

99 cavalier brake leak

Postby CraigM » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:17 pm
Hi all,

I have a 99 Chevy Cavalier and yesterday the brake peddle went to the floor. This morning I saw a puddle in the back middle of the parking space my car was in. I got under the car and looked around and seen that I have a leak.

I have been under there 4-5 times and am puzzled where the leak is. It is leaking in the rear middle of the car. I can't understand how the leak is there because the lines aren't running there. The middle of the parking brake cable where the cable splits is the most soaked area. But correct me if I am wrong but the P-brake is cable run and has nothing to do with the hydraulics.

I have taken some pics. If anyone has a clue to what is going on here it would be really appreciated. I want to fix it myself but can't decide on what I am seeing lol.

Here are links to the pics:

Sideview: Sideview Sideview on Twitpic

Underneath: Underneath Underneath on Twitpic

Right Line: Right Line Right line on Twitpic

Left Line: Left Line Left Line on Twitpic

As far as I can tell the lines aren't leaking but of course spray could be doing it but the leak on the ground is centered under the middle of the p-brake cable. Thanks ahead of time and if anyone needs any clarifying or other pics to help feel free to ask. I will do my best to help isolate the problem. Again thanks for the help!

- Craig

Old 08-19-10, 11:50 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Forget about the pictures and the location of the "Leak Spot" on the ground. Get the car on a lift and up in the air where you can clearly see the lines underneath, to rule out "Leaking Lines". Never play games when it comes to brakes. Also pull the rear "Brake Drums" and check the "Wheel Cylinders" for fluid leakage.

Old 08-19-10, 12:25 PM
C
I pulled both back wheels and the break cylinders are clean. Apparently the rear right brake line is ruptured where it comes across the frame from the left side. I can't get a good view up in there.

Going to have to see if I can get in to see if I can repair it.

Old 08-19-10, 01:12 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
(Quote) I can't get a good view up in there.

(Quote) Going to have to see if I can get in to see if I can repair it.

"One more time". Get the car on a "LIFT", and "Up In The Air".

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: