When are tires worn out?

Old 08-19-10, 02:14 PM
When are tires worn out?

My tires were worn down to the wear bar on the front 2 tires.
I took them to the place I got them and they said they still have thread left so they were not worn out.
I thought when the tread was even with the wear bar that was the sign they were worn out. They even agreed with me that at that stage wear they were not safe to drive in the rain as the water displacing would be ineffective at that stage wear! But still no warranty as they still had tread on them!!
What's up with that? They still had 3ooo miles of warranty left.
Needless to say I bought 2 new tires and I am sure that is what they wanted but still did I get taken? Granted it would not have been much warranty for a 40,000 mile tire but still it might have covered the road hazard for 1 of the new ones!
That is another question ..does a tire need to be flat or going flat to be covered under road hazard? If it has something stuck in it and still holding air, does that not count?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-10, 02:41 PM
The guarantee you are referring to does not have anything to the life of the tread, since the tires could have been used on a different car or the car they were used on could have been driven in an improper manner or with bad alignment, shocks, etc.

The road hazard usually refers to the life of the tire carcass or damage while driving. Then is between you and the expert you bought them from if you don't have any proof of a specific situation that could have caused damage. Just holding air is not a good measure since there are many things that can be done for a temporary fix.

In the last 30 years, I have never had a tire go less than 60-70,000 miles (always Michelin), but I have good alignment and suspension because I have to ride in the car. I took off the factory issued "rags" at 30,000 miles and bought good tires and then replaced them at 100,000 miles on the odometer. I now have 145,000 miles and don't expect to replace them for a long time because of the condition. - I hope the car lasts that long, but it seems to be "bulletproof".

Because I have driven a lot of miles, I always pay attention to the car.

Dick

Old 08-19-10, 02:48 PM
Duplicate post to the previous one.

Dick

Old 08-19-10, 03:03 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
(Question) When are tires worn out?

When the tires fail the “Annual Safety Inspection”.

(Quote) My tires were worn down to the wear bar on the front 2 tires.

Year, make,and model of car please.
Mileage when tires were installed, and mileage now?
“Speed” rated or “Touring” rated. Post tire rating.

(Quote) But still no warranty as they still had tread on them!! What's up with that? They still had 3ooo miles of warranty left.

Makes no sense. What sort of explanation were you offered for this? Sorry to say it, but it does sound like you were “Taken”. Taking it to the next level means a claim in “Small Claims Court”.

(Question) does a tire need to be flat or going flat to be covered under road hazard?

No

(Question) If it has something stuck in it and still holding air, does that not count?

It certainly does.

Is it possible for you to post a few good quality (close) up photo’s of the “Thread Wear”?

Old 08-19-10, 03:33 PM
Super Moderator
In addition to the advice already posted....call the manufacturer..and stop messing with the dealer.

Don't expect much if they are kinda off brand tires though. They may have a requirement for proof of rotation, alignment, inspection, etc.

Old 08-19-10, 05:59 PM
Tires

If the wear bars dont indicate the tires should be replaced what are they on there for? As for guarantees read and understand them at the time of purchase,sometimes we hear what we want to. And why would you buy more tires from someone you were unhappy with, or did I miss something.

Old 08-19-10, 08:19 PM
OK some answers to questions. 2001 Mitsubishi Galant
93,000 when installed and 130,000 now.
40,000 mile Cooper tire with a speed rating of H=95 mph.
With pro-rating I figure it had very little money wise for an decent money. Just thought they might give me some kind of good gesture deal. Maybe free road hazard on 2 of the tires.
They no longer handle that model tire, Cooper lifeline touring sle.
Certainly not enough warranty left for small claims court.
The one with something stuck in it was cupped from uneven wear he said. So that voided it as it was evident it had never been rotated or aligned. He also thought the front end needed alignment as 1 front tire did have a little more thread wear on the outside edge than the other tire. So as mentioned it could have been that fact why there was no warranty to adjust.
So all in all they were 37,000 of 40,000 mile, so I replaced all 4.
Therefore I cannot take any pictures of the tires as they are gone now.
I never received and papers to read on the warranty on those tires or the new ones either. I had to ask how many mile warranty the new ones had before I paid and still no papers on it. Maybe I should go back and ask for papers on the new ones? They are Kelly tires with the same H rating.
i am not really unhappy with the tire dealer just was hoping customer loyalty stood for something nowadays like it used to but guess that is just wishful thinking. He did offer 20 dollars off a 4 wheel alignment but then said it would be at least Monday before they could do it. Usual price for 4 wheel alignment is 80 dollars.
Hope that answers everyone's questions. Not really upset but slightly disappointed, and just wanted a little clarification on tread wear.

Old 08-20-10, 06:04 AM
Tires

Not really anything wrong as Cooper goes in general.

I bought a set for my daily driver (1992 Ford Tempo) and they worked well, especially in the winter in northern MI. I bought them because they were cheap in comparison to my 1994 Corvette (C4 style) where a set of 4 good tires was $1200. If the Corvette was a newer version, it would have 4 different tires (2 sizes for front and back and different rotation for left and right sides).

One key is to examine the tires frequently to see any signs of unusual wear.

There is really no such thing as loyalty in the customer/dealer relationship since you newer know who makes the money decisions and the turnover of employees is rather quick. A set of tires is only bought every 3 or 4 years. Tire manufacturers do have to rely on loyalty when they establish guarantees in case there is a problem with the tires.

Dick

Old 08-20-10, 01:01 PM
Group Moderator
Prorated would have got you about $8-10 max per tire I would think since they were certainly not going to give you brand new tires at no charge. The discount on the alignment would have about covered that amount.

Old 08-20-10, 04:29 PM
(Quote) 40,000 mile Cooper tire with a speed rating of H=95 mph.

The thread wear may seem premature to you but you have to factor in the “H” classification. Don’t expect to get a lot of wear out of any speed rated tire. Speed rated tires don’t wear well. The reason is the rubber is much softer on a speed rated tire, than the rubber on an all season or touring tire. The softer rubber makes the tire grip the road better, hence giving it a speed rating.

Believe it or not the tires sold at Strauss Automotive or Pep Boys are good tires. They are not speed rated, but they are an all season, all weather touring tire with an average highway speed rating. With proper inflation, rotation and alignment you can get over 50.000 miles out of a set.

(Quote) The one with something stuck in it was cupped from uneven wear he said. So that voided it as it was evident it had never been rotated or aligned. He also thought the front end needed alignment as 1 front tire did have a little more thread wear on the outside edge than the other tire. So as mentioned it could have been that fact why there was no warranty to adjust.

IT WAS THE REASON there was no warranty to adjust. There isn’t a tire manufacturer anywhere that’s going to honor a warranty (or pro-rate) a tire with cupping, uneven wear, or worn due to alignment issues.

(Quote) I never received and papers to read on the warranty on those tires or the new ones either. I had to ask how many mile warranty the new ones had before I paid and still no papers on it. Maybe I should go back and ask for papers on the new ones? Not really upset but slightly disappointed, and just wanted a little clarification on tread wear.

Now this is completely wrong. You shouldn’t have to ask for clarification on tread wear. It should have been explained to you automatically, and automatically, you should have given the warranty paper work. DO NOT GO BACK TO THE SHOP FOR THE PAPER WORK. Instead complain to Kelly, the tire manufacturer. They will mail or fax the paper work to you. They will also go after and discipline the dealer for treating you (the customer) this way. Although you don’t have the Cooper tires you should still complain to Cooper. Tell them how nothing was explained to you in terms of thread wear and how you never received any warranty paper work. Product manufacturers want to hear from you. You may think that they don’t care, or that they are not listening, but manufacturers take complaints very seriously. They want (and even expect) you (the consumer) to contact them anytime you have a complaint, and will go to great lengths to make sure you are happy.

Old 08-21-10, 07:24 PM
Glad my state doesn't do the annual safety inspection.