'98 Chevy Malibu - fuel guage dies after battery replaced

Old 08-20-10, 05:58 AM
'98 Chevy Malibu - fuel guage dies after battery replaced

Hi all,
Battery in my '98 3.1L Malibu died yesterday and on replacing it I discovered that the fuel guage was no longer working -- and it had worked when the battery died and the car wouldn't start. Car started fine after battery replaced and we ran it about 10 miles, and when it last worked, I had about a 1/4 tank of gas. I had no problem replacing the battery and followed the procedure for changing - remove NEG terminal first, then POS terminal and replace connections in the reverse order.
Any chance it's more likely just a fuse that got blown rather than something wrong with the actual guage?

I have the manual but am having some problem identifying the fuse for the fuel guage - seems there's no specific fuse for the fuel guage. There are 3 fuse blocks - two inside the car on each side-panel of the front console. I can find the fuse for the fuel pump here but I suspect the fuel guage may be a different fuse since the car runs fine.

Would the fuel guage be in one of the instrument cluster blocks or on the engine compartment fuse block?
There's a few fuses I can't identify by name: Body Function Control, there's one of these on each of the respective fuse blocks.
If anyone knows, appreciate your insight. I didn't have a chance to look at any of it yet - thought I could save myself some time if someone knew that the fuel guage was definitely broke. Any estimate on approx cost to fix/replace if broke also appreciated.
Greynold99

Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-10, 07:47 AM
Think I found it...

After posting, I searched for the problem and think I've found what's happened... somehow the fuel gauge needle has gotten wedged past the detent or little bump it normally sits on when Empty or when the car ignition is Off. Looks like all I need to do is get a paper clip or piece of fine wire, bend a hook on one end and thread it through the Odometer reset hole and pull up on the needle to get it over the bump.
Hope that's all it is.
greynold99

Old 08-20-10, 08:09 AM
Happy fishing. Sometimes using a magnet also does the trick.

Old 08-20-10, 10:07 AM
Thanks Equinox

I just happen to have a strong little magnet where I work that might do the trick... got it in my pocket to give a try tonight.
greynold99

Old 08-23-10, 08:53 AM
success

Took an unbent paper clip, one of the large ones, bent the end for a catch and popped the fuel guage needle right over the detent-bump - back in business.
Thanks,
greynold99