Oil pump-1996 CIERA SL

Old 08-25-10, 03:00 PM
Oil pump-1996 CIERA SL

The last two times I added oil to my 1996 CIERA SL I noticed that the top of the engine had no oil on it.Always in the past when I added oil you could see oil on the engine.I changed the oil and filter but the same is holding true ,no oil on top(you could see it in drips but now none).Where is the oil pump for this car and is it easy to get to. Or is it a major engine job.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-10, 08:58 PM
I assume this is an Oldsmobile CUTLASS Ciera? If you suspect the oil pump I would suggest putting a mechanical gauge on it to see what pressure is being generated. Don't assume the pump is bad. Is the valve train noisy indicating there might not be any oil getting to the top of the engine? Remove the valve cover and run the engine to be sure of your suspicians. It may be helpful if you would tell us what engine is in your car.

Old 08-28-10, 04:33 AM
Oil light always on

There was a mix up in info,I'm relaying this info from some one else,he doesn't have a computer,Sorry.
The OIL LIGHT IS ON ALL THE TIME. I changed the the oil and filter. the light is still on,I'm not driving the car.No visible oil at the top of the engine (always had seen some drops before).The engine for the Oldsmobile CIERA SL,1996 is V6-3.1.I don't believe they called the car a CUTLASS that year.The name I thought was dropped in 1996(probably was the same car any way).You suggested to put an oil gauge on to test the pump,were would I do that.Plus were is the oil pump for that engine. Thanks for the help.

Old 08-28-10, 10:24 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Is the engine making a "Ticking or knocking sound"? Before you throw the pump under the bus have you made sure the wire connector at the “Oil sending unit” is on tight and the connection is clean, and free of all dirt and corrosion? Is the wiring leading up to the connector in good shape? To confirm oil pressure, remove the sending unit and screw in an oil pressure gauge. Now with the engine running confirm pressure. If pressure is good, then the sending unit is defective and has to be changed. If pressure is low let us know.

Old 08-28-10, 04:22 PM
Late 1995 the "Cutlass" designation was dropped. It was just referred to as a "CIERA" and the Package code-S or SL. Technically , yes it is the same car, with only minor differences ...(Interior options and "FLUFF")

The car was available with 3.1 or 3.3, for V6, and a 2.4 OHC for 4cyl.

If this is indeed a 3.1, the pump is in the oil pan, and driven by the "Distributor" gear.

Now before anyone jumps at me...I KNOW , There is NO DISTRIBUTOR....But if you look down at the drivers side edge of the Intake manifold, you will see an "Aluminum PLUG" stuck in the top of the block. This is actually an old 2.8 distributor with the shaft cut off and capped.

I would DEFINITELY NOT jump at a pump , based on "Not SEEING oil drops under a filler hole....Beg Borrow or steal a pressure guage, remove the sender unit (Which is about 1 o'clock, when looking at the oil filter) and compare it to a pressure spec for that year , model, and engine size. You can find a chart easy enough with "Google" but 50 psi will get you in the ballpark.

Old 09-15-10, 04:38 AM
Thanks for the help.The oil senor was about 1 foot from the oil filter and to the right(looking down,about 1 o clock).Right above the oil filter at 1 o'clock was the oxygen senor.We first tried to unplug the oil senor,it didn't lite up when car started.Then we reinstalled and the light came on when the car started and then went out.So far lite is still out.Thanks.

Old 09-15-10, 04:48 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You're welcome. It was our pleasure to help.