2006 Equinox stumbles

Old 09-29-10, 05:43 AM
2006 Equinox A/C issues

I would not even know where to begin with a clogged evaporator drain. Is this something I can do with basic mechanic knowledge?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-10, 06:50 AM
Usually the drain is a rubber hose coming out of the firewall behind the HVAC unit and pointing toward the road. Not sure about the Equinox but some also use a 90 deg rubber elbow on the end of the hose that attaches to a metal tube coming through the firewall.

If you can find it and pull it off you may see if there is a clog or not.

Another possibility for your condition could be the compressor not cycling properly that can also cause the system to freeze up from over cooling, but I would try and locate the drain hose and check for a clog first. When the sytems warms up do you hear any water sloshing around? That would be a good indicator of a plugged drain hose also.

Old 09-29-10, 07:25 AM
2006 Equinox A/C issues

I had my wife run the car up to the store and it is draining to the ground. I was told about a cycling switch that might cause the compressor to not cylce correctly. I just have not been able to find where it is located. Or is there something else I can look into first?

Old 09-29-10, 08:37 AM
Perhaps one of the true experts will now chime in for you. I think that the compressor is controlled through the Body Control Module but beyond that the real experts will need to help you further in regards to electrical diagnostics. There are some great ones on this forum.

I can tell you though that with that vehicle operating in Florida you can expect the Denso compressor to leak and fail at some point soon also. Most seem to blow a seal around your vehicle's age and mileage unfortunately, and the OEM Chevy part runs $600 plus labor. Ouch! I did mine this year.

Old 09-29-10, 01:52 PM
2006 Equinox A/C issues

Thanks for the info, this is really getting frustrating. 2 shops and both tell me nothing is wrong.

Old 09-29-10, 03:21 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by Otown View Post
My 2006 Equinox LT 3.4 V6 is having a A/C problem. It will be blowing out nice cold air, then I get a vapor then it seems to freeze up.
Maybe someone else does, but I do not know what you mean by vapor.
Then you say it seems to freeze up. "Seems to".

The fan will be on but no air. I will switch off the A/C but leave the fan on and then eventually the air speeds back up and I can switch the air back on. I repeat this every 15 min or so.
??? So no air at all at first?, but then instead of the fan suddenly blowing air out the vents, it starts out with less air out the vents?, and slowly increases air volume out the vents until it finally gets good? Is that it? And you hear the fan blowing steady and normal while this is happening? If that is the case, maybe a damper control is stuck and takes too long for the damper to open the a/c door

Old 09-30-10, 04:58 AM
Once i get in my car and switch the A/C on, it works great. After about 10-15 min down the road the air flow starts to slow and vapors start coming from the vents.(You can still hear the fan trying to blow) I will then switch the A/C off, but leave the fan on. The air flow will gradually increase. Once the air flow is back up to speed, I then turn the A/C back on and it will blow cold. (Then Repeat)

This does this with the temp control set a little warmer and even if I run the Recycling. It tends to take a little longer if I have the fan on the highest setting and the recycling on, but still will freeze up to the point off the unit not blowing air.

Old 09-30-10, 07:26 AM
There is another common HVAC problem with the 2006 Nox and that is in regards to the air blend door and actuator. This is not a problem you want to have unless you want to pay for alot of labor or spend 2 days yourself drinking beer and tearing apart the complete dash assy to replace about $200 worth of parts. I found this link that shows the complete repair in detail, and believe me it is a complete tear down. On some 2006 Equinox vehicles the actuator involved ($130) has travelled too far and then broken the hinge point of the plastic blend door. ($55)

http://www.handymanlyness.com/archiv...06_Equinox.htm

A malfunctioning HVAC air door or actuator will cause vent air flow problems, but your situation still sounds more like a freeze up problem related to possibly compressor cycling assuming the evaporator drain is doing it's job. Have you seen any diagnostic error code lights on your dash? A component fault controlled through the BCM should throw out a code as it was programmed to do.

Old 09-30-10, 07:30 AM
Old 09-30-10, 10:21 AM
Heat works great. I really hope I do not have to go through all that. There has to be a cycling switch or some type of sensor that I could try 1st.

Old 10-01-10, 08:38 PM
Hey Otown, I'm having the same issue with my A/C.

The lines actually freeze over white then it blows semi warm air out. (I think it's the high pressure line) I get the fog mist blowing out the vent to as it warms up. It sits for a while then works ok again.
Something in the system is freezing closed.
How do I resolve this?

I am familiar with mix door bell crank braking off. My '01 Malibu did the same thing but instead of paying some shlub to destroy my dash I hooked a straightened out hanger to the mix door and ran it into my glove box so I could manually move the door closed for MAX air and open for fresh air.
P.S. Why the hell hasn't GM corrected this yes. I hate GM.

Old 10-04-10, 06:22 AM
Are you thinking maybe a leak in the high pressure line? I had the system checked for leaks and none were found. Yeah this should definetley fall into a recall of somesort for GM to fix.