96 caravan bad smell from heater

Old 08-26-10, 12:22 PM
96 caravan bad smell from heater

I have a 96 Dodge caravan.
Every time I turn on the heat or the AC I get a really bad smell, so bad I don't even use it.

It smells like an electrical motor is burning up, in fact I ended up changing the blower motor thinking that was the issue and the smell is still there.

Is there a cabin filter in these things that the smell is coming from?

Going to need heat soon for winter.....Thanks, Terry

Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-10, 12:33 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If the odor is as bad as you're describing, then it's most likely not the cabin filter. Change the filter. If the problem continues try cleaning out the A/C drain tube. This is the evaporator run off that tube that drips water onto the ground under the van when the the A/C is on. To clean out the tube you have to get the van on a lift and up in the air. If the problem still continues it means that mold is growing inside the box that houses the evaporator core. You have to pull the box and core to clean out the mold. At that point you should install a new core.

Old 08-26-10, 03:45 PM
Caravans that early do not use filters for "Cabin Air". Actually, thinking of it, I dont think any Domestic vehicles used them prior to 2000.
Besides, they are more intended for small particulates and "Pollen", than Providing a "Spring Fresh Country Scent"

Electrical you say??? The "Blower resistor" is in the air intake tract, and will definitely stink of electrical burning if it gets bad enough. If you have ATC, you may have a "Blower Module" which may be as bad or worse.

Also do not rule out a leaking CORE.

Old 08-26-10, 08:31 PM
Thanks for the replies.
I'm fairly confident it not a core leak. I had that in my Volvo and the smell from that is distinctively antifreeze smell.

Nonetheless, I'll check the system out.

Will you please explain what ATC is?

Also does anyone have access to diagrams or can point me to where I can obtain any to determine the lay of the land before I start ripping and tearing, which I am prone to do sometimes....which almost always amounts in more work......

Old 08-27-10, 03:48 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Sorry for misreading your post. 96 looked like 06 to me. Don’t get old (LOL). No cabin filter in your Caravan. We’re not talking about the heater core. Mold growing inside box that houses “A/C Evaporator Core”. You have to pull the box to clean out the mold. Since box is out makes sense to install new evaporator core. Mold and odor could be coming from leak in current evaporator core. Click on link below.

http://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-ca...-pictures.html

BTW, “ATC” means “Another Towed Caravan”
Only kidding
Just having some fun
Means “Automatic Temperature Control”

Last edited by ASE MASTER; 08-27-10 at 04:55 AM.
Old 08-27-10, 04:36 AM
I had success squirting Lysol spray into the intakes in front of the windshield. This was after I had drained the a/c tube, though.
That was not an electrical stink. It was nasty!