465 hp
cross-bolted main caps
425 inch bore
3.75-inch stroke.
Hydraulic cam
Lifter profile .278 degrees of duration
.495/.480-inch lift,
Traditional valves 2.25/1.94
Compression ratio is pump gas friendly at 9:1.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-10, 04:47 PM
Group Moderator
Chrysler 426?

I'm assuming you meant 4 point 25 bore and not 425 unless you have a motor from hell.

Old 08-27-10, 06:27 PM
I think Tow guy has it, But the particulars are

Mopar performance 426 Hemi "Crate" engine.

Most of the factory hemi's were only rated at 425, to secure a position in early Stock Car racing.

The other option is a 426 MAX WEDGE, but I dont think they were offered with Cross-Mains.

Old 08-28-10, 04:16 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
9:1 compression created 465 HP? Huh. Why the need for high compression then, I wonder?

Old 08-28-10, 04:48 PM
Thinking about it, its kinda sad, But after all of these years, I still havent mastered reading a Camshaft SPEC CARD....

Valid Question though.....

There is a bunch of mathematical VOO-DOO between the mechanical -compression , and the physical-- "Cylinder pressure". Compression refers to the volume of the cylinder head as 1 unit. In theory, with the piston at the bottom of its travel, 10:1 would mean that you can fit 10 units in that space. you would be "Crushing 10 units into 1 unit". Got it???
Now the curve ball......
With a high overlap camshaft, There is some of that "Squeezed" mixture that doesnt get trapped, so in actuality, you dont squeeze all 10 units into 1. With that said, mechanical design still dictates that you can fit 10 units into the cylinder with the piston at the bottom of its travel.
By lowering the overlap in "Valve State", more of the overall charge can be trapped, so the mechanical compression can be lowered, while maintaining the same values. The car may now be driven on PUMP gas, with "MOST" of the power charachteristics maintained, without the efects of detonation that plagued the Higher compression engines, and the lack of "Potent enough" gasoline.

Old 08-28-10, 05:37 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
But to make a car more powerful - say fast at the strip - don't you also need more overlap due to higher rpm's?, to develop a higher power curve? And if that is true, wouldn't you then need that higher compression, knowing you have to waste some in overlap? Or am I wrong about the more powerful cars having more overlap?