Coolant has something in it?

Old 08-28-10, 12:27 PM
Coolant has something in it?

So I have a 95 Saturn SL2 with 160k miles. Yesterday I noticed there is a yellow oily substance in the coolant. If it was oil, shouldn't there be also coolant in the oil pan? I would expect the coolant to get to a higher pressure than the oil and end up really fouling things up if there was a busted head gasket - right?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-10, 01:18 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Do you see some gooey yellow-white oily-vaseline type substance inside the oil filler neck right at the top where the cap threads end.

Is the car overheating?

Do you have good heat?

Is the coolant over flow reservoir boiling over?

Are you consuming and adding antifreeze while there is no sign of an external leak?

Is white smoke coming out of the tailpipe?

You can rule out a;

Head issue
Head gasket issue
Block issue

With a;

Compression Test
Cylinder Leak Down Test
Block Tester Kit purchased from auto parts store.

Old 08-28-10, 08:40 PM
No other symptoms. Does not over heat. The substance is small yellow dots, but nothing substantial. I put a paper towel in there and pulled it out, just sporadic spots.

If it is oil, shouldn't there be coolant also in the oil pan?

Old 08-28-10, 09:00 PM
i'd monitoring it for now. due to high rpms from water pump, oil in coolant has a tendency to beat up, just like egg white. oil and coolant do not mix together, but that beating creates emulsion.

also, check around your oil refill cap.
every time i dealt with blown head gasket, there was Vaseline type emulsion around cap.

monitor it for now. yellow dots do sound like oil blow by into coolant. there are many areas outside the engine where this can happen. not necessarily engine gasket. intake manifold is one of them. nowadays they run coolant through manifold, microcracks or bad gasket...

a chto, ruskiye saturny pokupayut? dumal tolko yaponskiye.

Old 08-29-10, 04:51 AM
Thanks for input. I dont speak russian btw.

Old 08-29-10, 05:34 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Mad Russian,

(Question) If it is oil, shouldn't there be coolant also in the oil pan?

Not necessarily. Do the test below and post the results. Still waiting to see results from “Block Tester Kit”.

Remove all the spark plugs. Get a cooling system pressure tester and pressurize the cooling system to about 20 PSI. Leave the system pressurized for several hours. Now lay down some clean paper towel along the cylinder heads where the spark plugs were. Crank the engine over for a few seconds. Since the spark plugs are not in place any antifreeze that leaked into the cylinder will be blown out onto the clean paper towel. Examine the paper towel for the signs of antifreeze and you will be able to tell which is the guilty cylinder.

Old 08-29-10, 01:37 PM
Originally Posted by Mad Russian View Post
Thanks for input. I dont speak russian btw.
that's cool. never judge from the name, he-he.
all i said was:

a chto, ruskiye saturny pokupayut? dumal tolko yaponskiye.

russians buying saturns? thought japanese only.

which is a known fact, you will almost not find a non-japanese car in russian or ukrainian or asian communities. reliability. statistically speaking.

Old 08-29-10, 04:43 PM
Originally Posted by ASE MASTER View Post

Not necessarily. Do the test below and post the results. Still waiting to see results from “Block Tester Kit”.

Remove all the spark plugs. Get a cooling system pressure tester and pressurize the cooling system to about 20 PSI. Leave the system pressurized for several hours. Now lay down some clean paper towel along the cylinder heads where the spark plugs were. Crank the engine over for a few seconds. Since the spark plugs are not in place any antifreeze that leaked into the cylinder will be blown out onto the clean paper towel. Examine the paper towel for the signs of antifreeze and you will be able to tell which is the guilty cylinder.
OK thanks for clarifying how to perform, I will do it one night this week and post results!