universal joint replacement

Old 09-03-10, 09:05 PM
universal joint replacement

I need to replace the front universal joints on my 93 jeep grand cherokee. Not the drive line but the ones for the axle to the wheels. I have gotten as far as everything is removed and I took out the "C" retainer clip but cannot remove the bearings. Is there a special tool or technique? Any ideas would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-10, 01:33 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
(Question) I need to replace the front universal joints on my 93 jeep grand cherokee. Not the drive line but the ones for the axle to the wheels. I have gotten as far as everything is removed and I took out the "C" retainer clip but cannot remove the bearings. Is there a special tool or technique?

You can't fight a war without a gun

click below

BC4x4.COM four wheel drive, 4x4, offroad and fourwheeling site.

Old 09-04-10, 05:12 AM
Universal joints can be quite a job to remove if you don't have the right tools. I have only had to replace 3 universals in my life
but here is what I did on the last change out.
In my case the universal bearing caps were rusted into the shaft yoke on both sides. So pressing them out was made impossible with tools that I had, I decided to cut the the body of the universal out with a torch but a hacksaw would probably work. I then lubed up the caps good and press the caps out of the shaft yoke individually using the right size wrench socket and my hydraulic press.
Thats how I did mine. Maybe others will have easier ways to do it but I had to work with the tools I had.

Larry

Old 09-04-10, 05:13 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Have never used more than a hammer (bmf) punch and vise for U Joints. Big hammer to knock out old joint. Have shaft in vise, use a flat punch or medal rod to drive upper cap into shaft driving out lower cap, turn shaft over and than drive out other cap, do same with yoke. use vise to press in new caps. If you use a hammer to drive in new caps put new center into cap to hold bearings while driving in. I hate picking up all those little bearings.
Tool looks cool tho.

Old 09-04-10, 07:59 AM
i used vise and socket, slightly smaller than cap. placed joint into vise, along with socket against cap, and squeezed cap in.

when you put caps back in, make sure you have needle bearings locked solid in place with some thick grease.

i squeezed caps back in using vise again. personally, i wouldn't hammer on anything that has needle bearings in it. besides, it's very easy to hit side-wise, human arm is not a robot arm on steel guide, and nix journal or set cap crooked. of course, squeezing with vise requires shaft being perpendicular to vise either.

i'll try pm-ng you with general instructions on this, i don't think they allow Chilton pages posted here.

Old 09-05-10, 03:31 PM
u-joints

I kept an old brake cyl hone to clean out the bores on the yokes. Made life a little easier.

Search this Thread