Why not dump 6 or 10 bottles of injector cleaner in your tank?

Old 09-04-10, 01:13 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Why not dump 6 or 10 bottles of injector cleaner in your tank?

Well?

It is a petroleum bad product. They say it does not hurt catalytic converters and surely they'd think of the fuel pump also. If one bottle HELPS, why not go for all the marbles and get some serious cleaning done?

Do they really think one measely 15 oz bottle in say 20 gallons or gas - even 10 gallons - diluted - is going to do much good? I'm guessing that in their labs, they spray on their product full strength and go, "Yep - it dissolves the stuff)(crud) alright".

Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-10, 01:26 PM
(Question) Why not dump 6 or 10 bottles of injector cleaner in your tank?

Waste of money.
Any pour in the tank "FIC" is "BS".

Old 09-04-10, 01:40 PM
Once you see the problem and have to resort to massive doses as a "band-aid" it is a little too late.

Using some additives/cleaners on a regular basis avoids the panic solutions. Most of the problems come from negligent build-ups over time that should not happen.

Since you might have a throttle body system instead of if separate injectors it might make sense to have it cleaned out properly so make up for the past.

I had an Olds 3.8L with separate injectors that were easily fouled but was absolutely great for performance and economy (30 mpg+ on a long trip) when running right. That was a learning experience that was not forgotten, especially thee cost of fixing problems..

Old 09-04-10, 02:41 PM
Injector cleaners are probably more on the line of Jet 1 fuel (smell it). Of course your car won't run on too rich a mixture of Jet fuel and gas without smoking. Like Dick said, proper cleaning of the throttle body needs to be done outside the tank.

Old 09-04-10, 03:12 PM
Originally Posted by Concretemasonry View Post
Once you see the problem and have to resort to massive doses as a "band-aid" it is a little too late.

Using some additives/cleaners on a regular basis avoids the panic solutions. Most of the problems come from negligent build-ups over time that should not happen.

Since you might have a throttle body system instead of if separate injectors it might make sense to have it cleaned out properly so make up for the past.

I had an Olds 3.8L with separate injectors that were easily fouled but was absolutely great for performance and economy (30 mpg+ on a long trip) when running right. That was a learning experience that was not forgotten, especially thee cost of fixing problems..
Dick, I have individual fuel injection.

Suppose you got tar on your hands. Suppose someone said if you want to help reduce the tar, to use a drop of solvent mixed with say glycerin or whatever? Well, if I have tar gobbed on my hands and do not want to resort to having say a surgeon (think mechanic) operate on my hand to physically remove the tar - why not spray a bottle of solvent on my hands and be done with it? As long as it does not kill me. Why wait for 50 tanks of gas to pass by for the injectors to finally clean themselves up?

Old 09-04-10, 03:16 PM
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
Injector cleaners are probably more on the line of Jet 1 fuel (smell it). Of course your car won't run on too rich a mixture of Jet fuel and gas without smoking. Like Dick said, proper cleaning of the throttle body needs to be done outside the tank.
Jet fuel, eh? Well, if that is the case I wil experiment by doign some quarter mile runs to see if this aditive is propelling me ny better. Oh, do you know that my niece uses those sticks at the airport to taxi in the jets? I still don't know how she got that job. I can't imagine her(or anyone) just coming up to someone and asking if they can give that a try.

Old 09-04-10, 03:26 PM
Originally Posted by ASE MASTER View Post
(Question) Why not dump 6 or 10 bottles of injector cleaner in your tank?

Waste of money.
Any pour in the tank "FIC" is "BS".
You don't believe what the auto parts store told you and you don't believe what they say on a bottle. WelL, I gues we all have our opinions. I know that one real famous additive that gets such high reviews from people - Sam on his radio show(not you) said that that stuff is like glorified paint thinner. And to think they want like $6.50 for some small bottle(pint?) of the stuff.

I did buy some also famous brand additive marked 2X concentrated (for only $1.48 on sale!! at my box store), and dumped it and a 15 oz. bottle(typical size of injector cleaner/moisture remover) in the tank, and for the last 3 days the car has not bucked or even hiccuped! But this may be a coincidence( I HATE coincidences), and may be temp related, as the last 3 days have been cool and blustery. I have this ONE theory that perhaps the heat from the exhaust collector pipe directly below the TPS is frying the TPS. -Maybe.

Old 09-04-10, 04:01 PM
(Quote) I have this ONE theory that perhaps the heat from the exhaust collector pipe directly below the TPS is frying the TPS. -Maybe.

ecman51

You’re a smart guy, but you remind me of a friend I had that was “Worse Than Jock Itch”.

Your car is from 1992. In applying your “TPS” theory;

Why now?

1992 to 2011?

How long does it take (or should it take) to fry a TPS.

I’ll keep saying it until it finally penetrates. Bucking is because fuel flow and volume are being compromised.

Old 09-04-10, 04:39 PM
I don't know. 1 week?...... or maybe 18 years. :HF2:

Old 09-04-10, 07:44 PM
go for it. it's a good idea, esp for an older car. 6, 8, 12 bottles of cleaner is fine. mof, i'll strongly recommend (being seafoam guy all through myself) g'ol Studebaker-Packard STP one. it is super inexpensive, you can buy 6pack on sale for like 4 bucks. works great.

here's the thing though, as i can see diesel's fingers already hovering over the keys on keayboard.

pour it in ONE BOTTLE AT A TIME WITH NORMAL CONSECUTIVE FUEL REFILLS.

least to say, i had several 3packs of STP in my 91 civic, and did this, and baby started running nice and smooth, and rewarded me with very decent 38mpg, for a 181 000 miles car.

Beer 4U2

Old 09-04-10, 08:25 PM
I am a regular user of Seafoam (whatever it is) in my two cars on a periodic basis, but do not like to promote good products even if the results are there.

It definitely does clean well since I have two cars (one with 145,000 miles and the other with only 95,000) that can have some sort of build-up over time, but a can in the tank once in a while solves the problem so well that I would worry about large doses at one time to correct for past maintenance lapses. - Not lightweight engines, but just bullet-proof GM 4.3L sixes.

Dick

Old 09-05-10, 03:40 AM
Dave, if you ask your niece, she'll probably tell you she is not particularly watching the aircraft, but the wing walkers. You'll note they all have their hands in the air, indicating a clear movement. If one drops his/her hands to scratch their ....her job is to cross her sticks and bring the a/c to a stop. In most airports, the aircraft is guided to the gate via lasers and traffic signals on the wall in front of them.
It's odd, too, that we try to clean up gas in the tank and the injectors on gas fired engines. In older diesels like my Cummins, since the all knowing government has mandated 15 ppm sulphur in fuel, we have to add one oz of 2 cycle oil per gallon of fuel to replenish the lubrication needed for the engine to last longer. Diesel additives increase cetane, which drops your mileage sometimes by 5 mpg (winter blends have it increased to stabilize the fuel). Seafoam occasionally helps keep things from burping, but the 2 cycle oil makes an audible difference. Dodge makes it.....Cummins shakes it.

Old 09-05-10, 08:53 AM
Just go easy on the “Sea Foam’ gentlemen. Likes to chew up and destroy injector seals. Active ingredient is “White Kerosene”. Looks like it. Smells like it. Why do you think it’s clear when poured from can?

Old 09-05-10, 11:04 AM
Ahhhh...the choices of so many of these products!

Just got back from my home center where they have a sale on one of the additives. I bought 5 more bottles ($1.48 ea.). Some family man, with his family standing there, is checking out all the choices and had his hands on one brand. He looked at me like I knew what I was doing, because he thought I so assuredly grabbed those bottles.

He said, "Does this stuff really do anything?" I said, "You got me. We are discussing this stuff on the internet right now." I said, "Take that Sea Foam stuff there, for $6.48. I do not know what is in it? Could it be no more than paint thinner, as some radio mechanic suggested? I really don't know. I said there are people that swear by IT, and some of these other products. Then again, what do THEY know. Could be just the power of suggestion. Who knows. Actually I plan on calling up the company and asking them some questions about the product." We chatted a little more, he grabbed one of the bottles and parted ways and he thanked me(for what?).

Sam, Did you actually find out if it is white kerosene? If say it were - would that dissolve gas varnish, or carbon desposits, let's say? I have used that product. But at about $6.50 can, I am not dumping in something, anymore, for all I know might be readily available, and cost less than 50˘ or something. I can't STAND being duped. Throwing $6.50 bottles at a gas tank, for say unknown or proven results rank up there with that mechanic bill of $60 I got with absolutely not even the hint of what might be wrong with the car. I do not believe in acting as if I am holding my money out and lighting it with a match. Now, maybe it DOES all do as claimed. But I am on not only finding out, but also if the ingredient(s) are something common and cheap. If it were, it be like buying a gallon of deck wash for $7 a gallon (which I have seen) and the label says the active ingredient is sodium hypochlorite(bleach).

Old 09-05-10, 11:08 AM
Chandler (off-topic),

Wing walkers?

Old 09-05-10, 12:06 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
By golly, this is giving me a headache. Think I'll take an aspirin. Hmmm, the bottle says take two, but I really want this headache gone fast so, what the heck, down the hatch with with thirty or however many are left in the bottle. The fine print gave me the headache in the first place.

Old 09-05-10, 02:27 PM
Dave, the point guide can't see the wing tips of the aircraft. You have two wing walkers that give visual indication that they are clearing all obstacles. Any problems they drop their hands and the point guide stops the aircraft. They walk UNDER the wing, not on it as your devious mind imagined....you and Rod Serling with William Shatner. Sorry, off topic. I'll quit.

Old 09-06-10, 05:19 AM
Group Moderator
Additional off topic; in military aviation the wing walkers (and tail walker on bigger stuff) commonly carry whistles during maintenance movements to alert the tow tractor driver to obstacles.

Old 09-06-10, 08:57 AM
I am with the same thought of putting in 20 bottles of injector cleaner at same time but what does this do to to your electric fuel pump?

Old 09-06-10, 10:18 AM
There are some additives that act as a cleaner in and of themselves, while others are just a preventative that are practical only when used in conjunction with cheap gas.

I think that most cleaner additives just dry the gas so that the gas is less likely to leave behind deposits and maybe allow the unencumbered fuel to perform some solvent duties as well.
In that case after that moisture is handled, more additive would be just like more fuel.

20 bottles of injector cleaner could actually leave deposits not to mention cause your o2 sensors to turn on your engine light.
I'd just go with a bottle of seafoam.

Old 09-07-10, 03:54 AM
ecman51,

(Question) Sam, Did you actually find out if it is white kerosene?

Not me, but a chemical engineer I used to know. When I realized it smelt and looked like white kerosene, I became curious about it’s incidents, so I had her analyze a can for me.

(Question) If say it were

White kerosene is the main ingredient, but don’t expect to find it written on the can. It goes by a different name, which I’m not at liberty to mention. It’s a marketing ploy. The heavy weights at “Sea Foam” feel if the word "kerosene" is mentioned, that people will go out and buy kerosene and start pouring it down their fuel tanks instead of “Sea Foam”. There’s no problem with kerosene, as long as you’re running a car that’s pre O2 sensors and pre catalytic converter. Pour straight kerosene into an engine that has O2 sensors and a catalytic converter, and in a short time you’ll destroy both the O2 sensors and the catalytic converter. “Sea Foam deals with that issue (so as to avoid lawsuits) by adding Pale Oil, Naphtha and IPA (Isopropyl Alcohol).

Old 09-07-10, 04:36 PM
Originally Posted by Mackey View Post
I am with the same thought of putting in 20 bottles of injector cleaner at same time but what does this do to to your electric fuel pump?
I am going to ask the company. They say it does not hurt O2 sensors and cats, but they do not mention other parts of the fuel system.

I ran the equivalent of 8 bottles per tank the other day for the heck of it. I chanced it. I ran the tank down to 1/8th, then added a bottle. I figured that if it started to misfire, I'd just add more gas to dilute what I did. Did't have to. The car ran fine - like I never even added anything. Which maybe that stuff IS like not adding anything.

They claim the product cleans injectors. Every time I read anything on a label anymore, I am skeptical. I have a conspiracy theory tht companies have their lawyers intentionally draft labels to be legal but misleading. For example - they say it cleans or helps clean injectors. For all we might not know, maybe gas itself helps clean injectors. That sort of thing.