01 exployer sport 4x4 abs

Old 09-08-10, 04:28 PM
01 exployer sport 4x4 abs

Wifes Exployer is haveing abs problems the front sensor seems to be bad making the front brakes shutter when comining to a complete stop is there any way to isolate which one it is? I was thinking I could take one out a time and let it hang there and ride around the block. Any thoughts? Thanks for reading

Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-10, 05:24 PM
No that won't eliminate a potential sensor problem.
How many small lines does this Explorer have coming out of the ABS pump? I don't know if '91's have four channel ABS.
Have you removed the fuse for ABS to verify if this is an ABS or mechanical problem?

Sure it's not warped rotors?
This picture show a sensor wth the "pulse ring" that it reads.

Old 09-08-10, 06:22 PM
Abs

I did remove the fuse and the problem did go away so its in the abs system I will have to check for the lines. I was wondering if out of round rotors would cause the sensor to act up the rotors are a little off but not bad I fill a slight roughness when braking at high speed but bad surging when coming to a complete stop. How can I find out if its the right side or left? Thanks

Old 09-08-10, 07:21 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Read both your answers “Johnny”. Far too many “If’s, ands, or buts” here. Sounds like the cart my be before the horse.

Let’s start easy and with simple common sense.

Is the “ABS” light on while your wife is driving?

Are there any “ABS” codes?

Use a “Dial Caliper” to confirm if the rotors are warped or not, and let us know.

Have the brake pads ever been changed? If yes, were the rotors “Replaced” or “Turned” at the time?

Composition of brake pads you are currently running is? (Example metallic, ceramic, or other)?

Mileage is?

Is any part of the braking system not "OE"?

Condition of rear brakes is?

Is emergency dragging or hung up?

Color and condition of fluid is?

Old 09-09-10, 04:12 AM
Abs

I did change the front pads about a mounth before the brakes acted up and did not turn the rotors. I think thats the first thing I am going to try it needs done anyway. No abs light is on unless I pull the fuse witch sounds right to me although with the fuse out there is no prob. Rear pads are good fluid is good. Thanks

Old 09-09-10, 05:36 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Doesn’t sound like an “ABS” issue to me. Shudder is most likely due:

To warped rotors, or the fact that the rotors weren’t turned when the pads were changed a month ago. Know that if the rotors are warped they should be replaced. Turning them would be a waste of money, dangerous when driving and will make the warp worse. If you have to replace the rotors, don’t use cheap Auto Zone (Duralast) crap.

Use Bembro, Raybestos, or EBC only.

Your truck calls for “Semi Metallic” brake pads to be installed.

Did you install “Semi Metallic” or something else?

Are the pads you installed Auto Zone (Duralast)?

Old 09-09-10, 03:16 PM
Originally Posted by JOHNNY BE GOOD View Post
I did remove the fuse and the problem did go away so its in the abs system
Look carefully at the right and left AXles where they meet the hub. Are the "Tonerings "on the axles, or built into the bearings?
Dollars to donuts, you will find a tonewheel with a crack between two of the teeth.

You likely wont have an ABS warning lamp , and no DTC's stored, simply because the ABS module is doing what he thinks he should do. The tone ring with the crack, is "Zeroing Out" before the others, so the ABS engages as it should, Based on what the module "SEES" from the sensors.

Old 09-09-10, 03:53 PM
Thanks

Thanks all for the replies I will be changing rotors first and while doing so will check the ring. By the way great picture of the ring