really clean windshield??????

Old 09-09-10, 04:27 PM
really clean windshield??????

What do you guys or gals use to really get your car windows crystal clean? I am getting tired of all these different products including home brews that just don't seem to cut it. I can get it looking pretty good but wait until sunset and the smears and haze really show up.
Lets hear all your suggestions.
splinters

Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-10, 04:36 PM
Using one of those windshield reachers helps clean the inside thoroughly.

I think a mistake I used to make all the time is not using enough cleaner. and scrubbing too hard. Towel gets dry, and friction causes residue from the towel to transfer to the glass.

Following up with glass wax helps buff the outside really clean and smooth.

Old 09-09-10, 04:48 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You could start off with a purple degreaser. The powerful ones on the market will even dissolve any greasy grime and even wax.

If any bumps or spots are on it, you may want to use a window razor scraper.

After rinsing, and drying - if satisfied after this prep work is done, then you can use a glass cleaner to finish it off.

If you have problem mineral deposits that are really stubborn where even a razor scraper jumps over them (note: only use a new blade), you could first apply vinegar, in the shade, and smear it on and let it set. Do not let it run down in the cowling. Work it with say one of those plastic mesh pads as that will keep it from running, and yet coat the glass.

If that doesn't get it all, there are glass polishes out there that claim not to scratch glass. (Go to a window and mirror shop if need be). It is like a non-abrasive polishing paste. However, I will tell you that I really did a lot of scrubbing on window glass once, with such a product that claimed not to scratch. But it created a real subtle fog effect to the glass (much finer than a scratch) that was only noticeable if the sun caught it just right, and you could see both the treated area and untreated area next to it. If you did the whole glass, in a worst case scenario at least there would be no such comparison. But it would likely rid you of baked on water spots.

If the glass is tinted, then proceed with steps at own risk. Advise testing on inconspicuous corner first.

Old 09-09-10, 05:22 PM
Mickblock I think maybe that is the problem. I do not use much spray and rub a lot with one of those extenders you mentioned. By the way you live right here in my area. I went to calumet high school when it was there on ridge and colfax.
thanks
splinters

Old 09-09-10, 05:37 PM
On a car about 12 years old, I got a new windshield!

No more haze at sunset or with oncomming lights at night.

It turns out my windshield had little pits on the outside like it was sandblasted all over.

If the car is that old, look at a new car windshield and you can see the difference if you look closely.

Old 09-09-10, 05:44 PM
"Budget bargain Special " Spray bottle of glass cleaner, and my secret Formula Wipe cloth-------

The front page of the daily newspaper......

Just humor me and try it....

Old 09-09-10, 06:20 PM
Group Moderator
Hopes Perfect Glass and a microfiber towel

Stoners invisible glass in the spray bottle (not the can) is my second choice

The towels never see fabric softener when I wash them

Old 09-10-10, 04:51 AM
Group Moderator
Diezel beat me to it; newspapers are an old trick just like, um, er, well......

For a cleaner I like Stoner's Invisible Glass.

Old 09-12-10, 03:51 PM
I went to wally world today and got some of that stoners invisible glass and it seems impressive. I haven't driven it at night yet but I think it is going to be a good thing.
Sure seems better than that blue winde_ brand stuff.
upshift.

Old 09-12-10, 05:49 PM
I use a washcloth soaked in windshield washer fluid, the winter stuff,you know, -35F alcohol based fluid. I use an old terrycloth towel to dry, my glass cleaning towels NEVER see fabric softener either and always get double rinsed in the washing machine.

Old 09-13-10, 07:54 AM
Group Moderator
Yep, forgot that part - I double rinse the glass cleaning towels as well

Old 09-20-10, 12:02 PM
When regular cleaning doesn't do it anymore, I pull out my glass polishing kit. It's basically a cerium oxide abrasive powder. My kit has a buffing wheel, though I sometimes polish by hand.

Quite often I get a staining pattern on glass that won't go away with conventional cleaning... even on a new replacement windshield! The cerium oxide gets rid of it easily. It should be on every car guy's shelf.

The newspaper trick doesn't work anymore since they changed to soy-based inks about 15-20 years ago. The old ink was similar to 3000 grit paper, or something rediculous like that.

Old 09-22-10, 02:33 PM
The newspaper trick doesn't work anymore since they changed to soy-based inks about 15-20 years ago. The old ink was similar to 3000 grit paper, or something rediculous like that.

Well that explains why I went to do the windows , and the paper said "MAN WALKS ON MOON".....

I use them all the time......