water in passenger floor board

Old 09-10-10, 07:00 AM
water in passenger floor board

Vehicle: 1997 Mazda Protege

Problem: When it rains pretty heavy, water begins to seep into the passenger floor board. There was a huge puddle this morning.

Symptoms: The A/C doesn't work that great. Air won't come out of some of the vents. When I turn the air on, there is a loud squeel for about 5 seconds then it goes away.

Symptoms: The check engine light has been on for a while. I think I just need to replace the O2 Sensors, at least that's what the codes indicated.

Also, I had to jump my car this morning. It could use another battery. Not sure if its related to this incident.

I could use some direction about how to fix the water issue.
(please also look at my other post from last night. "1997 Mazda Protege run rough...")

Thanks,
DK

Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-10, 10:27 AM
For the water leak, it could be from a door, a window in a door, from the windshield, or something under the dash.

The best way to catch it would be to use a box or whatever on the floor, then spread out newspapers or paper towels all over.

Then check from time to time and see where the papers are wet. Above that would be where it is dripping from.

Then use a flashlight and see if you can see where the water is coming from.

As to O2 sensors, I've read these should be replaced every 30,000 miles to 60,000 miles. A regular maintenance item.

As to the A/C, sometimes hay can get in there (I live in a rural area) or tree leaves or whatever and this can clog up the fan. I've seen fans with so much crud in there, the fan would not even turn! Cleaning anf a bit of oil might help.

Or the squealing might not be from the fan. It could be from the compressor and belt under the hood. In that case try tightening the belt.

It would help if you could say for sure where the squealing was coming from?

Old 09-10-10, 04:52 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
(Quote) When it rains pretty heavy, water begins to seep into the passenger floor board.

Sit inside the car, and watch for incoming water, while a second person hits the door and windshield area with a “Power Washer”.

(Quote) When I turn the air on, there is a loud squeel for about 5 seconds then it goes away. Rule out;

Belt issue
A/C compressor issue
Belt Tensioner issue

(Quote) The check engine light has been on for a while. I think I just need to replace the O2 Sensors, at least that's what the codes indicated.

Hate to hear “I Think”. Suggests guessing. Can’t afford to guess in this business so I never guess. Driving around with the “MIL” is a bad idea. Could lead to a serious misfire, which could lead to the destruction of Catalytic Converter. Auto Zone reads car computer error codes for free. Go to an Auto Zone store have a scan done. The scan is free. Write the code down so you don’t forget it, then post it for us to see.

(Quote) Also, I had to jump my car this morning.

While at Auto Zone have the battery and alternator “Load Tested”. This too is a free service.

Old 09-11-10, 09:29 AM
why it always has to be a passenger side pillar A windshield seal that always goes bad first? 90% of internal leaks i ever dealt with are there.

your windshield seal is leaking. out of desperation, you can try cleaning seal real well, from the driver side all the way down to the hood, and over towards the driver again, till mid engine. then, get a dispenser for silicone sealant tube, and liberally pack it all with clear silicone. do this inside somewhere, and let it dry out overnight. i use my finger to smooth it outside, it peels of from skin.

here's rationale - and i have done this quite a few times.

you have to start from driver side, as windshield tilts towards pillars A from the midline. so, if it leaks anywhere on the pass side upper seal, water will follow DOWN towards pillar A.

depending on firewall shape just below the bottom seal, it may drip in - and towards pillar A there.

silicone they sell in parts stores is 5 times more expensive, and 10 times less size of the same silicone you buy at home depot. dispenser is about a buck. one tube should be enough for the project. you REALLY must pack into tiniest holes and dark caves you can find. normally, i had to re-pack in few weeks, as it shows new cracks, as car body moves.

was fighting a leak like this on my silvie for 2 yrs, right above electronic mirror. finally, replaced the windshield, that was it.

Old 09-12-10, 05:34 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
(Ukrbyk asked) why it always has to be a passenger side pillar A windshield seal that always goes bad first? 90% of internal leaks i ever dealt with are there.

Easy buddyBeer 4U2

First and most oblivious are clogged cowl drains (dirt, leaves, debris). Water has no place to go, so it enters car through cowl grill. Keep drains clear.

Intake for cabin fresh air is in cowl on passenger side. If clogged with (dirt, leaves, debris) water level can rise higher than intake. Now water ends up on floor through blower vents.

Another possibility (although rare) is climate control system is constantly set to use re-circulated air. This results in a buildup of moisture.

Search this Thread