97 chevy blazer pings

Old 09-11-10, 03:19 PM
97 chevy blazer pings

The short is 97 chevy blazer auto/air 4.3 liter 175.000 well maintained. Car ran smooth had fuel pump replaced under warranty took 4 full business days. At end the bad news was I also have a check engine light on and # 6 not firing due to spider injection replacement needed. Drove car easy 3 miles ran like crap complained and then when I called they said it should not be driven. Had vehicle towed to someone I thought I could trust and they replaced spider injection paid $630.00. after 10 minutes driving to home car pinged at start of aceleration after stopped at light otherwise ok. He says egr issue but I need to decarbonize the engine $100 includes $60 cleaner stuff. I do not have complete confidence in him because this should have been mentioned before hand. My question are :
1. Did I damage something driving gently 3 miles 30mph or less with bad injection system?
2. could one of these mechanics that replaced the parts screwed something up?
3.What can I do? I'm extremely mechanical and have built 9 second 1/4 mile pro stocks when I was a younger man from the ground up. I have tools still and done water pump and vacumn brake booster on blazer besides other main. stuff. I can and will follow instructions (today's cars are a lot more complicated then when i was a hobbyist 30-35 years ago! I'm just totally pissed and about ready to start swinging.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-10, 04:13 PM
Following is a search which should find plenty of reading. It is a google.com search for the words...
97 blazer spider

Here that is...
Google

Other than that, see if you can see anything which is not connected. Like vacuum hoses, etc. As I recall, that is major "surgery'! Possible something was not connected?

And if you want to do these things right, a factory service manual set of books is around 2000 pages long and 4 books. You can order that from your dealer or helminc.com

That has *complete* troubleshooting instructions for everything.

Old 09-11-10, 04:18 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
(Question) Did I damage something driving gently 3 miles 30mph or less with bad injection system?

No

(Question) could one of these mechanics that replaced the parts screwed something up?

Yes.

(Question)What can I do?

Find what they screwed up.
Have plenty of proof to backup and support your claim.
Sue in small claims court.

(Quote) I'm extremely mechanical and have built 9 second 1/4 mile pro stocks when I was a younger man from the ground up.

A man after my own heart.Beer 4U2 Have you beat by a second buddy. (Images below).

(Quote) I have tools still

Then do yourself a favor. One pro to another. “CSFI” is crap. Leave it MFI.

Click on links below.

Service Information

GM VORTEC CSFI to MPFI CONVERSION

Best Regards
Sam

Old 09-11-10, 05:11 PM
Ok "Millisecond " race car guys......

What do we look at when our car pings out of the gate, and the advance curve is known to be "Dead -on", and we know we dont Have inferior fuel??????

LEAN MIXTURE......???????

Now since we cant REJET a carb on a CFI General motors product that has just had "INTAKE work performed, Start looking for the vacuum leak....

The top of the plenum is a good place to start (Where the wiring "Block" goes thru), Then the seams, the map sensor nipple (Or the MAF Tubing, could be either system) . ANY SOURCE OF "UNMETERED" AIR that you can think of.

EGR is a possibility, as is Carbon cleaning from EGR ports, but stick with the "Simple before the Sublime".

Also ...Not entirely impossible, but when the fuel pump was replaced, the guy used the "Shop Bucket" of 3 year old fuel to refill your tank......?????

Old 09-11-10, 05:30 PM
FIXED IT!!!! THANKS GUYS. PULLED INTO CHEVRON FILLED UP ON PREMIUM STILL BAD FOR 1/8 MILE THEN VOILA NO MORE PING. GOT SOME BAD GAS WHEN i GOT STUCK AT A ARCO GAS STATION BEFORE BEING TOWED TO FIRST SHOP FOR PUMP REPLACEMENT! i WISH ALL OF LIFES TROUBLES WITH ARE STUFF COULD BE FIXED BY GOOD GAS!!!!

Old 09-11-10, 05:41 PM
Reminds me of my "Big Fat Greek Wedding" where "Gus" cured everything with "Windex"

Glad it turned out to be something quick and easy. Not very common in this business. Doesn't change the fact that "CSFI" is crap and should be converted over to "MPFI". Alot easier than it looks. Take you one Saturday.

Old 09-11-10, 05:57 PM
(Quote) Ok "Millisecond " race car guys......

You got my attention now “Diezel”.Beer 4U2 An 8 "Millisecond " car instead of an 8 second car. Think I’ll build one.

Old 09-11-10, 06:53 PM
Sorry Sam....Its already been done...Ask any teenager who owns an alternative fuel HONDA

Old 09-11-10, 08:14 PM
(Quote) Ask any teenager who owns an alternative fuel HONDA

I know a kid who has one (Nissan though) When I see it I laugh so hard that I wet myself. Offered him a run for titles, said no. Told him I'd give him a one block lead, kid still said no. Have to say, he's crazy but not stupid.