When did they start installing speed limiters

Old 09-13-10, 07:23 PM
When did they start installing speed limiters

As a matter of interest, does anybody know when they incorporated speed limiting devices in production cars
I remember hearing a fellow talk about them in 1978
Have they been around that long.
Sorry for the poor grammer but I got a new laptop and I cant figure out how to do a question mark.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-10, 08:04 PM
Thank California. It's a may-as-well-do-it thing related to emission control would be my take.
On the practical side, RPMs are governed according to engine load as well.

Anyone know if the speed cutoff is just a result of the RPMs being governed at low load or is it a separate process?

? ? ? ? ? ← here you can borrow a couple of my question marks till you get that keyboard sorted out. Just cut and past. Be sure and get 'em back to me when your all done with 'em.

Old 09-13-10, 08:39 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
(Question) When did they start installing speed limiters?

Right around the time I started ripping them out.

Electronic engine governors (aka RPM or rev limiters) first appeared on 1970 428 Cobra Jet engines.

Old 09-14-10, 05:23 AM
Group Moderator
I had a speed limiter on my first vehicle in 1969; it was called "Dad".

Old 09-14-10, 06:37 AM
Thanks for the question marks. I will try to return them to you in the same condition you gave them to me.
I borrowed 5 of them.

Are the rev limiters a separate device or are they part of the electronic control module in older cars?

Old 09-14-10, 12:57 PM
I have seen some delivery vehicles with stickers saying max speed 57mph. Brilliant idea making these vhicles top speed under the speed limit. Must irritate the drivers.

Old 09-14-10, 01:29 PM
(QUESTION) Are the rev limiters a separate device or are they part of the electronic control module in older cars?

Decades ago were called governors. Mechanic device that would umbrella open in fuel line and restrict fuel pressure and volume to reduce speed. Modern version is electronic and part of "ECM".

Old 09-14-10, 02:11 PM
Formula 1 (F1) race cars have limiters (RPM) that are set by the team and adjusted for the individual track. They are usually set at between 17,000 and 19,000 rpms because those races are not won with a high top speed since corner entering, cornering and braking is what wins.

Dick

Old 09-16-10, 10:34 PM
I didn't know they put them in cars. I driven truck for years, and they have them, so you won't blow the motor. But the older truck, if you ran them down hill fast enough, and enough times, you could brake it.

Old 09-17-10, 04:26 AM
I remember, like Edward 074, back in the 70's, our road tractors were governed at 1800 RPM. Could barely make 60 MPH with a strong tail wind. Our company put them on to limit us to the newly mandated 55 MPH Interstate speed. Darn, they kept breaking. Must have been some manufacturing defect

Old 09-17-10, 08:04 AM
speed limiter

There was an after market governor made for the model A Ford engine that maintained a specified engine speed when used in an industrial application.