replacing wheel bearing?

Old 09-15-10, 07:57 AM
replacing wheel bearing?

I have a 98 ford windstar and i was wondering if the front hub comes with the bearings and race come in it as i unit or can a person replace the bearings and race separately? I purchased some new front tires and the garage gave me a quote for front wheel hub and bearing and a unit. I have been noticeing on here that these parts can be bought separatly.Is the garage replacing unnecessary parts or is do they come as a unit? The estimate was [as usual] mostly labor.I do some work myself when i can.Am i out of my mind to try doing this myself.This is an older vehicle but you know how it is.
I have been watching you-tube and other sites on here and i feel i can do this project.We only have one vehicle but i still think i can handle this.
I noticed that you have to drive the driveshaft in to loosen the hub but when you get the hub off does tightening the nut that goes on after the washer is installed make the driveshaft come back out to normal position? The websites do not say if the shaft comes back out when tightening nut. Thanks for any advice you can send me.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-10, 09:15 AM
From a GM tech's perspective.....

Looking at times, it would be a charge of @4hrs(maybe with age 5) to do both sides. It looks like you are to take the spindle off and the bearings are pressed in. Maybe they can get a whole unit and not have to go thru all that. You'd have to see if parts are aailable that way. If they come with the spindle, I couldn't imagine it being more than 1.5hr per side. I can shoot you some instructions if you PM me with your e-mail.
Also, you can buy a hub bearing removal kit from Harbor Freight that allows you to do a bunch of bearings like that; some with spindle on car yet. Worked on my Subaru

Old 09-15-10, 09:44 AM
The bearings I have bought come with the race. I would prefer to buy them that way, then I know they fit together properly.

As to doing the work yourself, you should only do so with the proper tools and instructions. The best instructions are factory service manuals (order from dealer). But this should also be covered by a 3rd party repair manual you can get at an auto parts store. And I like to have both. Sometimes the 3rd party book might explain something better than the factory book or the other way around.

And I would imagine you would need a big socket and torque wrench. Nuts and bolts associated with wheels need to be torqued to a certain tightness. (Books say how much for each.) And they can be a ROYAL pain to loosen, so a BIG long wrench might be needed.

Needless to say, this is a very important part of the car. You wouldn't want your wheel to come off while driving! So do as the instructions say. If they say to not use a part again like a keeper pin, then best to follow their advice.

The manuals will say what tools are needed.

Then so far as doing this yourself, I have two vehicles and I feel this is a must to work on one vehicle or another. I *always* wind up needing to go to the store to get something when I have everything torn apart. So helps to have another vehicle.

Then sometimes I might tear something apart, and see something needs to be replaced or taken to the machine shop or whatever. Then they don't have the part in at the auto parts store, so I need to order it. Or need to take something to a machine shop. In either case, it can take a day or two to get the part.

So you should have some other way to get to the store. Bike, walk, friend, city bus, etc.

And if only one car, start the project on a Friday if you work and need the car Monday. Then you will have all weekend.

Old 09-15-10, 02:53 PM
changing wheel bearings

We only have one vehicle so that really changes a lot of things. I have tried most of the day to find a hub bearing that comes as one unit.So far noone has that. that would have been faster. I also dont really have the heavy duty parts that i really need. I dont mind doing things when i can but cars nowadays pretty much limit that.Thanks for your help.I just have the wrong occupation.

Old 09-15-10, 02:55 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If that vehicle is front wheel drive, odds are pretty good you will need a press in order to put in the new bearing.

Old 09-19-10, 09:10 AM
Smile changing wheel bearing

I was told my van was done so i went to pay for it and the bill wasnt as high as the estimate so i wanted to know why and the service tech came and said when they were taking it off they noticed the nut was loose so they tightened it about half turn and the bearing seemed fine so they didnt change it. Hopefully it will be ok. thanks for all your help. To say the least it is always good to hear news like that.

Old 09-19-10, 09:35 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Good luck with it Roeboat!!!!!