jammed seat belt

Old 09-15-10, 02:52 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
jammed seat belt

Howdy, my '95 Crown Vic's seatbelt jammed shut a few days ago. I slid under the shoulder strap to make it look like I was wearing it. Used a hammer and screwdriver to open it. I found a penny in there. Was there a better way to open it? A c-clamp on the release button didn't work. Placed an ad on uneedapart.com for a replacement part. the fun thing is that I have to take out the driver's seat to replace it. Boy, they sure do not want you to get at that part easily. Currently latching into the middle passenger seatbelt since I have only had more than two people in that car once in the 7 months I have driven it.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-10, 06:03 AM
(Quote) I slid under the shoulder strap to make it look like I was wearing it.

(Quote) the fun thing is that I have to take out the driver's seat to replace it.

Seat removal is only necessary for rear seat belt.

We are talking about the driver’s side seat belt here right?

If drivers seat belt, seat moves forward and back.

Driver’s seat doesn’t have to removed to change out seat belt retractor.

Are you saying driver’s seat is broken and won’t move forward or back so you have to pull the seat to access retractor?

If yes, then “Cart is being placed in front of horse”.

First fix seat so it moves back and forward.

Bolts holding belt retractor to door pillar are under plastic trim panels. Naturally plastic trim panels have to come off first so you access bolts.

Move seat forward to remove panels.

At this point, sounds like “hammer and screwdriver” approach got you into trouble.

If panels have Philips screws, try a screw driver. I find it works better than a hammer and a screwdriver for removing screws.

If no screws, plastic clips only, try a “panel clip removal tool”. Also works better than a “hammer and screwdriver” for removing clips.

(Quote) Placed an ad on uneedapart.com for a replacement part.

Faster to try a few junkyards.

Old 09-16-10, 07:11 AM
The part with the push button is the part I need to replace. That is where I used the hammer and screwdriver. the retractor is fine, I just have to put the end of that into the push button receptacle for the middle passenger seat. I took the nut off of the bolt holding the attachment into place. Found that the attachment goes under the seat rail. Taking out the seat isn't a major problem, it is just 4 nuts that I have to take off, just may be a little awkward to lift the seat out since it is the front driver's seat.

Old 09-16-10, 08:27 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I doubt you need to remove the seat from the vehicle - just push it out of the way enough to get to the bolt.

Old 09-16-10, 01:12 PM
I got the part and managed to break the left front seat bolt while trying to loosen it. turns out I did have to take out the seat so I could disconnect the wiring for it because it was attached to the underside of the seat in a way I couldn't access it had I not pulled the seat.

Old 09-16-10, 04:05 PM
Hah I spent this whole week installing front seats at work.
Imagine doing 520 of those in a day!

So why'd you decide to replace the seat belt? To be on the safe side?

Old 09-16-10, 04:55 PM
It felt weird using the shoulder belt on the middle seat buckle.

Old 09-17-10, 03:07 PM
Today I spent a couple hours getting that broken bolt out. Drilling it out, the new hole was smaller than the original bolt, so the one I bought matching the other front bolt was a mistake. Bummer $.70 lost, next trip to home Despot, spent a whopping $.29 for a bolt and washer. Wasn't trying to, but that $.29 combination worked great and actually had to ratchet it in so no need of a nut.

Old 09-18-10, 04:56 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'd put the nut and lock washer on it anyway. A seat belt isn't something you'd want to risk coming loose when you really need it.

Old 09-18-10, 01:40 PM
Put on a nut and locktite this morning after I noticed the bolt rose up a little bit after arriving at work today.