Which one is transmission fluid return line?

Old 09-18-10, 11:24 AM
Which one is transmission fluid return line?

I have a 92' Ford Ranger Supercab with 2.9 V6 and automatic transmission. I want to change the transmission fluid and filter. I've heard of an easier way to get the old fluid out of the torque converter. You run the transmission cooler return line to a receptacle. Then while the engine is running you put in and circulate fresh trans fluid till the drainage comes out clean.

I just want to be certain of which one is the return line

I attached a photo that can be found at photobucket.com/paisano. This view is looking forward, same as driver looking forward through windshield. There are two flexible hose transmission fluid lines trailing into that port on the left, where they attach to the bottom of the trans oil cooler mounted on the condenser. The left metal line attaches to the radiator, and the right metal line trails rearward attaching to the the transmission, I assume.

Is the right-hand metal line the return line?

Also on my make/model, will the torque converter fluid circulate with the transmission in park?

Thanks,
Dave

Last edited by bluesbreaker; 09-18-10 at 11:43 AM. Reason: need to insert URL
Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-10, 07:49 AM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by bluesbreaker View Post
I have a 92' Ford Ranger Supercab with 2.9 V6 and automatic transmission. I want to change the transmission fluid and filter. I've heard of an easier way to get the old fluid out of the torque converter. You run the transmission cooler return line to a receptacle. Then while the engine is running you put in and circulate fresh trans fluid till the drainage comes out clean.

I just want to be certain of which one is the return line

I attached a photo that can be found at Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket This view is looking forward, same as driver looking forward through windshield. There are two flexible hose transmission fluid lines trailing into that port on the left, where they attach to the bottom of the trans oil cooler mounted on the condenser. The left metal line attaches to the radiator, and the right metal line trails rearward attaching to the the transmission, I assume.

Is the right-hand metal line the return line?

Also on my make/model, will the torque converter fluid circulate with the transmission in park?

Thanks,
Dave
photo-seems to be a bad link?
i use this method all the time.
i 'think' the lower line at the trans is return on the a4ld
a sure shot method-is to remove both lines & add a piece of hose to each,to drain in drain pan.
start eng-watch for fluid flow from hose-when slows/stopps-quickly shut eng off.
add 3-4 qts fluid & repeat.

Old 09-19-10, 12:16 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
(newtofta quote) i 'think' the lower line at the trans is return on the a4ld

newtofta happened to guess correctly. Lower line is the return.

Link below will be a big help.

Ford Ranger Automatic Transmission Identification

Old 09-19-10, 02:42 PM
I bookmarked that excellent link. Thanks. It is the line that returns fluid to the transmission from the cooler

I just tested this new hyperlink, and it works ok. Pictures by paisano184 - Photobucket

Old 09-19-10, 03:13 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
(Quote) I bookmarked that excellent link. Thanks.

You're very welcome. It was my pleasure to help.